5f1 champ w/electronic reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5f1 champ w/electronic reverb

Has anyone successfully found a layout for adding an electronic reverb to a 5f1 circuit? I know this is continuing an old thread and i saw some ideas and schematics but not a good 5F1 layout. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ampman33; 02-23-2017, 12:13 AM. Reason: Original layout

Originally posted by Ampman33 View Post
    Has anyone successfully found a layout for adding an electronic reverb to a 5f1 circuit? I know this is continuing an old thread and i saw some ideas and schematics but not a good 5F1 layout. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Use a pedal....

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
      Use a pedal....
      no fun in that. A 2 tube verb can be added using the detail from an AA1164 but i have a super quite amp and have just came across an electronic reverb so im going to try to use it. Although there is nothing wrong with stomp boxes if that's what a person likes.

Comment

There is very little to no support from the companies that sell these units. If anyone has done this please mark up the layout and post it here. Evidently there are several people that are having the same issue or want to do the same thing.

Comment

Um, what units? And what support do you need? I am a little confused: You want to add a tube reverb system to a Champ, but then mention electronic reverb. You have to pick one as their needs are totally different. Oh, in fact electronic reverb could mean either a rack unit or one of thos solid state module reverbs.

As to support, Fender circuits have worked for 50 years just fine, so a straight lift is likely to work. No company supports altering their products. You just have to figure out how to wedge it into a Champ. Is the tiny Champ power transformer going to be able to power the extra tubes? Where will you put them? Is there room for even the small reverb pans in the Champ?

Little electronic module? The data sheet has the circuit it needs, just replicate that. But where will you get the power supply for it? The people that make it can't provide a thousand power supply circuits for all the possible applications. You also have the signal level problem. Signal levels in a Champ can be tens of volts. You'd have to essentially add an FX loop circuit, something to step the signal down for the little gadget, then boost the result back up to tube levels.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I agree completely, i want to use the digilog module in a champ. I dont know if anyone has tried this. Im not sure about obtaining the correct input impedance or where to get it from. As i said, i have the correct regulated power supply and switching it is no problem. Just not sure about the best place to tap into the circuit. Im a tube guy and dont know much about these electronic modules but it seems like a nice alternative to tube driven reverb.

Comment

i want to use the digilog module in a champ. I dont know if anyone has tried this. Im not sure about obtaining the correct input impedance or where to get it from.
              Which module do you have? There's an application circuit on page 3 of the pdf below. It needs more than the power supply and module to make a working reverb circuit. The input impedance is 10k in the example.

BTDR-2.pdf

Comment

I agree completely, i want to use the digilog module in a champ. I dont know if anyone has tried this. Im not sure about obtaining the correct input impedance or where to get it from. As i said, i have the correct regulated power supply and switching it is no problem. Just not sure about the best place to tap into the circuit. Im a tube guy and dont know much about these electronic modules but it seems like a nice alternative to tube driven reverb.
                Honestly... I don't get the point of this. It's a tiny, simple amp with no overhead. There really isn't a good incertion point accept at the input. You will basically be building a digital pedal in the amp. I can tell you by experience that a pedal works fine with these little amps. Not as well as reverb in the mains with it miked but it does work. You will never get "surf" out of it.

Comment

OK, so where would you insert a tube reverb circuit as a tube guy? The reverb technology doesn't matter. You need to tap off the signal path to feed the reverb drive circuit, then the reverb output has to mix back into the signal path at a later point. That you have to massage signal levels for the various technologies is just a detail.

A Champ is about as simple an amp as it gets, and there really isn't a good place to insert a reverb, in my view.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Build a PR but put a Champ PI and output in it.

Comment

The Gretsch Compact Reverb (maybe Compact Recording?) is nice, too..

Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I have used rob robinette's circuit in a champ and ive done the triode mod. Both work, not so great in a champ but they do work. Takes tweaking to keep it from sounding like a treble boost. Inserting a 3.3m /10pf after the preamp capacitor,470k off the pot and feeding back into the 6v6. The electronic reverb cant handle that. After a lot of reshearch the only option is to install it at the input jacks, the 3H model allows for attenuation using a dual pot. So i guess the best option is a pedal design inside the amp. The PR circuit with champ ps and ot is something to think about, may try that one day. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

There is another option not mentioned. Gibson's first reverb units clipped on to an amp's speaker with aligator clips. It was called a "Reverb Amp" and had its own speaker. Sort of an extension amp with Reverb. Distorted Reverb sounds like ass in most peoples opinions. Reverb on distortion is better. But again. Why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                            There is another option not mentioned. Gibson's first reverb units clipped on to an amp's speaker with aligator clips. It was called a "Reverb Amp" and had its own speaker. Sort of an extension amp with Reverb. Distorted Reverb sounds like ass in most peoples opinions. Reverb on distortion is better. But again. Why bother.
                            Right on! Ampeg had their version, I owned one for a while then one of our local blues dudes had to have it for his rig: sold. Worked great! Plus, you could put the reverb anywhere the speaker gator clip wire would reach, up to 50 feet away, no problem.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Hammond did that in their organs for ages.

Comment

Working...
                              X