Scrapbox standalone low-voltage reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapbox standalone low-voltage reverb

A couple of years ago I had an idea to build a tube reverb without the expense of special transformers. Here in England, tube (more correctly 'valve') transformers are pretty expensive and I wanted to see if something useful could be had from easily-available parts. Here's the schematic exactly as-built. It works very well, though I've yet to sort out switching the reverb on/off. I tried the usual method of grounding the input to the recovery tube, but this introduces too much noise.

The transformer is a low-cost toroidal - just because that's what I had to hand.

The TIP35C was used because it just happened to fit the spacing of my tagboard. Only the MOSFET needs heatsinking. The tray I used is from a mid-90's Marshall and I've tried a half dozen different other types and they all worked well. I'm not sure if the circuit will drive a Fender-type low-impedance tray, but the drive from the MOSFET is very strong.

I know there are lots of design flaws, and room for improvement, but it works much better than you'd expect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	871361

Here's the final build, apart from finishing the case off;

Name:	Reverb.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	871362

At the bottom there's a diode shorting across the transformer. I think it should be connected to the other side (+ve) of the 4700u capacitor.

Comment

Well spotted - it's a half-wave voltage doubler.

Comment

COOL project, congratulations
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I like it too. Did you CNC your own faceplate??

Comment

No CNC - I have an old 60s 'Gravograph' pantograph engraver. I'm not too happy with the lettering - I had the depth of cut set too deep. The material is Traffolite - the original stuff that Hiwatt used.

Comment

Revised diagram with diode in correct position;

Name:	Reverb2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	844870

Comment

Working...
              X