X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 guitar mixer / splitter

Hello,
    Here's what I have in mind.
    I want to build a compact mixer/switch. I could have just one knob that would be a fader to blend the mix between two instruments, from 100% guitar-A to 100% guitar-B. But could also have a dB cut if one of the instruments were to be louder than the other (active pickups / pedal board).
    This unit would suit two purposes:

1) play bass with my son on the same amp and be able to blend a mix of the two basses.

2) use it with my band to switch between two guitars in a live performance.

I could imagine a simple fader between the two guitars, but I'm sure I should aim at something better, hence more complex... with resistor, transistors, capacitors...etc.
    I know my way in eletricity and soldering but have little knowledge of eletronics.

Can anyone suggest the schematics for this project?
    Thanks
    nuno, from portugal

Morley ABY Mix Guitar Mixer and Switcher | Musician's Friend
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

If you're sure you want to build and don't have a ton of experience, it sounds like a very reasonable first starter project. But it still would be a bit involved to do right, and you'd have to be sure you want to spend the time and money. Especially when most of what you want could be handled by a minimal mixer, something like the Behringer MicroMIX MX400, which is only about $25 (Behringer MicroMIX MX400 4-Channel Line Mixer, New). Buy or build is often a tough decision, depending on how quickly you want it, and whether you want to accept the possibility that your first build might cost more, not work as well, and be less durable and nice looking than something you buy.

If you DO want to build, I'd strongly suggest a circuit using OP-AMPs. Put the phrase "two instrument mixer schematic" into a google search and look at the long list of photos showing various circuits, and see if you find one you think you can handle. Find something similar to what you want to do, and I'm sure someone here could help you fine/tune or modify it to match what you're looking to do. If you don't see anything you feel is within your reach, I wouldn't let that discourage you, because learning to build electronic projects is an awesome pursuit. But in that case you still might want to consider buying something off the shelf this time. the design and build could easily take a lot more time, all tolled, then you bargained for.

Comment

Working...
      X