wah pedal switch mod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wah pedal switch mod help

I have a 2 pole 6 position rotary switch and want to add resistors to it but I cant find any info on how to wire this kind of switch ive been looking for days and keep seeing contradictory info, im new to electronics and done a lot of modding but stumped on this one. Thanks all.

EKT ? Electronics Katrangi Trading ? Shop Online ProductDetails-85 ROTARY SW 2/6 PLASTIC

Just google for a image of a 2 pole 6 position switch, that will show you the layout.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
      Just google for a image of a 2 pole 6 position switch, that will show you the layout.
      Ive seen those images before but im not sure where im supposed to connect these 2 wires I have, the fact its 2 pole is confusing me, I know how to solder the resistors ive seen those pics but not seen it installed with the wires.

Comment

Go this datasheet.
        http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/MRlogicLevel.pdf

It is not for your exact switch but it shows how a 2 pole rotary switch switch works.

Without a datasheet you will have to use an ohm meter to figure it out.
        Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 03-03-2017, 04:52 AM.

Comment

If you look at the photo, there are two terminals in the center of the switch that are marked A and C. These are the two poles or wipers.

The 12 terminals around the outside are positions or throws. As a guess, 1-6 will be one set and 7-12 will be the second set.

Thus, Pole A will connect to positions 1-6 and Pole C will connect to positions 7-12. I'm guessing here, you will have to test this theory with your ohm meter.

So connect the six resistors to the first side of the circuit with the other ends of the resistors connected to the outer terminals and the center terminal will connect to the other side of the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Go this datasheet.
            http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/MRlogicLevel.pdf

It is not for your exact switch but it shows how a 2 pole rotary switch switch works.

Without a datasheet you will have to use an ohm meter to figure it out.
            Thanks bro im looking into that now cheers, im also learning the meter, its a lot to take in.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
              If you look at the photo, there are two terminals in the center of the switch that are marked A and C. These are the two poles or wipers.

The 12 terminals around the outside are positions or throws. As a guess, 1-6 will be one set and 7-12 will be the second set.

Thus, Pole A will connect to positions 1-6 and Pole C will connect to positions 7-12. I'm guessing here, you will have to test this theory with your ohm meter.

So connect the six resistors to the first side of the circuit with the other ends of the resistors connected to the outer terminals and the centre terminal will connect to the other side of the circuit.
              Thanks, I just realised where im going wrong, I actually need a single pole for what im doing, im just changing the value of 1 resistor on the board and this switch is for changing 2 different resistors with 1 switch. Doh. So I need to get a single pole then. Sorry for wasting your time guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzdemon View Post
                Thanks, I just realised where im going wrong, I actually need a single pole for what im doing, im just changing the value of 1 resistor on the board and this switch is for changing 2 different resistors with 1 switch. Doh. So I need to get a single pole then. Sorry for wasting your time guys.
                If you already have this 2 pole switch, then just use one side of it. It is nothing more than 2 single pole switches in one housing.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  If you already have this 2 pole switch, then just use one side of it. It is nothing more than 2 single pole switches in one housing.
                  But doesn't that mean only half the positions will work? I really need all 6 and maybe more it depends how the test goes.

edit: I think I know what to do now, Im gonna try something. I think I need to take these 2 wires and solder one to both of the centre pins and the second wire needs to split and go to both outer pin 1 and 7, im guessing here.
                  Last edited by Fuzzdemon; 03-04-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

If you connect pins marked "A & C" together, you now have a Single Pole 6 position switch. (with two positions per selection)
                    Now when you select position '1' you are also selecting position '7'.
                    The internal 'A-C' contacts cannot be separated from there position connections.
                    (the 'bar' on the datasheet that connects A and C is a mechanical connection)
                    Here is a crop of the datasheet.
                    85_ROTARY_SW_2-6_PLASTIC.pdf

Note: I failed to notice the pdf link on that page.
                    So there is a datasheet available.
                    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 03-04-2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

If you connect pins marked "A & C" together, you now have a Single Pole 6 position switch. (with two positions per selection)
                      Now when you select position '1' you are also selecting position '7'.
                      The internal 'A-C' contacts cannot be separated from there position connections.
                      (the 'bar' on the datasheet that connects A and C is a mechanical connection)
                      Here is a crop of the datasheet.
                      [ATTACH]42622[/ATTACH]

Note: I failed to notice the pdf link on that page.
                      So there is a datasheet available.
                      Yea thats what I figured again thanks for confirming it, so I really need a single pole then for this job, at least ive learned how to use them anyway, still not sure about the wiring points though that will be a guess.

Comment

The switch that you have will work as long as you limit yourself to 6 positions.

" still not sure about the wiring points though that will be a guess. "

Not too sure what the confusion is.
                        It's a switch.
                        The 'A' lug is the common terminal.
                        When you rotate the switch you will be connecting 'A' to one of the 6 positions.
                        This can easily be verified with an ohmmeter.

From your description it appears that you want to select different resistors for one circuit.
                        Remove the existing resistor and solder it to 'Position 1'.
                        Add whatever values you want to the other 5 position lugs.
                        The resistors that are now hanging off the switch need all of the ends terminated together.

Where the original resistor, was solder in a wire to each solder pad and bring them out to the switch.
                        Attach one wire to 'A' and the other one to the terminated ends of all of the resistors.
                        When the switch is rotated, you will be picking one resistor at a time.

Easy. Peasy.

Comment

The switch that you have will work as long as you limit yourself to 6 positions.

" still not sure about the wiring points though that will be a guess. "

Not too sure what the confusion is.
                          It's a switch.
                          The 'A' lug is the common terminal.
                          When you rotate the switch you will be connecting 'A' to one of the 6 positions.
                          This can easily be verified with an ohmmeter.

From your description it appears that you want to select different resistors for one circuit.
                          Remove the existing resistor and solder it to 'Position 1'.
                          Add whatever values you want to the other 5 position lugs.
                          The resistors that are now hanging off the switch need all of the ends terminated together.

Where the original resistor, was solder in a wire to each solder pad and bring them out to the switch.
                          Attach one wire to 'A' and the other one to the terminated ends of all of the resistors.
                          When the switch is rotated, you will be picking one resistor at a time.

Easy. Peasy.
                          Thats spot on what I was looking for, the configuration you just explained is all I wanted to know, very thorough too thanks man. Thanks again everyone.

I found this to convert a 2 pole to 1 pole, ive always been good at pulling things apart so might give it a go lol

Modifying a rotary switch

I just did the above mod its very easy to do.

So, now its a 1 pole switch can you tell me how to wire it up? lol just kidding.
                          Last edited by Fuzzdemon; 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X