Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trademarks or Patents on Pole Piece Placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverend Rail-hammer
    Lace

Comment

Originally posted by jvin248 View Post
      Reverend Rail-hammer
      Lace
      Roy Butts, 1957.
      See post 11.
      Last edited by rjb; 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
        But remember that the second harmonic is a doubling of the fundamental, and so on. Presumably there is some intermod as well, but I do not think that that has been analyzed. You are right that it is a small effect, but because it does involve a nonlinearity it might be audible in some cases. Increasing the width of the pole piece in the dimension across the string would tend to decrease the effect somewhat. The extreme case of this is a blade pickup.
        It seems that, in addition to the effect being small, the only way to really change the effect is to have a pole piece that is wider or narrower. A very thin pole piece would maximize the effect, but that would make string bending problematic. It might be OK for a bass guitar, where string bending isn't a thing. A very wide pole piece, like those of a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, or an Ernie Ball Bass, would just be a bit more like a rail type, further suppressing those already negligible 2nd harmonics.

There might also be some interesting effects with split pole pieces, such as with a Fender Jazz Bass pickup or staple pole pieces, but I think the effect would just become all that much smaller than what you get with a discrete pole piece. The patented pickup mentioned about appeared to have two poles like a Fender Jazz Bass, but they were merely offset. From what I read in the McDonald PDF, it doesn't seem like the slight offset would make much difference by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          In my experimenting, I always liked 1 larger pole, instead of 2
          That's what SHE said...
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

I suspect the real sonic difference comes from the coil being effectively further away from the poles, i.e. an air gap that will dull down the tone significantly. Basically the opposite of a Wal's single tight bobbin per string.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              Reading Bartolini's copy it seems like Bartolini are implying that Bill was playing around with this design back in the 1970s. I know that Mørch tried out the angled pole pieces and someone posted a photo of those here too .
              I'd say feel free to experiment with the design but if you bring it to market be prepared to cover it up or face the wrath of the TalkBass crazies. They are a lot like the Breitbart crazies.
              Bill had those parallelogram shaped, flat topped pole pieces. I don't think he ever did anything like this, because he didn't use round pole pieces. That was part of his patents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bart2.png
Views:	1
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	845072

But Bill doesn't own the company anymore, so I suppose the new owner decided to do this. It's clearly copying Nordstrand. But I'd also imagine they are much better pickups. And Nordstrand copies other pickup makers too...

And yeah, lots of people at TB have mental issues.. lol
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                In my bass experimenting, I always liked 1 larger pole, instead of 2.
                I guess Leo didn't agree, but he later went on to use one big pole on the Musicman pickups. Do you understand why he did that? It softens the attack which helped with the early bass amps at the time.

I dislike the MM pickups... I prefer blades over poles every time.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Do you understand why he did that?
                  Because Fender's electric mandolins didn't meet sales expectations, and he had a bunch of short 4-pole pickups?
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                    Because Fender's electric mandolins didn't meet sales expectations, and he had a bunch of short 4-pole pickups?
                    He patented a pickup design (2968204) with the poles between the strings. He shows a guitar pickup in the patent, but he went on to use it on the split coil P bass and Jazz bass pickups.

In his patent he claims that normal pickups have a "strong, and relatively harsh, twang or percussive sound followed by a very rapid decay..." He also talks about the warbling you get with string rod magnets under the strings.

I'd guess it also helped to prevent distortion from the bassman amp on the attacks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 1.39.45 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	845073

Comment

Working...
                    X