Help with 70's Yamaha guitar amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 70's Yamaha guitar amp

Hello , I have an old 70's Yamaha guitar amp. It is a "Hundred B212" . I am getting a fuzzy distortion on all notes. Have tried different guitar , different cables , different speakers , and I've even taken it to another house and tried thru different outlets. Can't get rid of the distortion. I tried to check the idle current , which is supposed to be set at 5mv. I am reading .5mv and adjusting it doesn't change it. Below is the closest schematic I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the place. It looks like pin 6 on the output module should be about +90V, and pin 5 should be about half that.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Are you certain that you are adjusting the correct control? Are you reading the voltage at the correct test point?

Comment

Start by testing the amplifier with other , known good spekers.

Scratching voice coils sound almost the same as crossover distortion.

As a counter test, check those spekers with another ampliier.

Just play a chord and let it die.

IF it´s the amp, we can help you properly bias it, but first discard speakers.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Already tried different speakers. I have been testing at the point marked "TP" or test point on the schematic. Tried adjusting at the 220 ohm trimpot.

Comment

A few thoughts and/or questions:

1) You say, "Below is the closest schematic I could find." How close is it? Do the numbers on the output board at least match? I'd hate to have all of us driving in circles looking at the wrong print.
            2) Assuming it is "close", I'd start by checking the voltages on TR22 & TR23.
            3) This is a single supply amp with 80-90V supplied to the collector of TR22, so TR23 should have roughly half that on it's collector. Because of this, the output is capacitor coupled to keep DC from the speaker. Notice that 2200UF cap in line with speaker positive? That cap could also cause problems if it's bad/dryed up/arcing/leaking.
            4) I'm not commenting on the bias issue until we find out how "close" the schematic is to the amp we're working on.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot,......
            5) Welcome to the place!
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Here's the page from the service manual I've been going by. the schematic is good. I just have the oldest version of the G100 amp. The first ones just say "Hundred B212 " instead of G100 212. I tested tr22 and tr23. tr22 is 96vdc and tr23 is 11.5vdc.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by zintere; 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

well it gets worse. I replaced the 3 transistors on the MA board , 2 2sc783's and 1 2sa483. Replaced all 3 with new ones. Now every time I turn it on it pops the 3amp fuse on the back.

Comment

Please refer to transistors by their TRxx name as on the schematic. The schematic does not show the 2scxxx number so we have no idea what you replaced.

You should build and use a "Light Bulb Limiter" (Google it) so that you don't blow a fuse every time you turn the amp on. Also, disconnect the speaker until the power amp is functioning and the proper Voltage on the collector of TR23 can be read.
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Sorry for the long delay. I have hit a point that's very frustrating. After further research I have discovered that none of the service manuals I can find match this amp. From what I have found this is a 70's version of the amp and no one seems to have the correct manual or schematic. This one just says " Hundred B212 " on the front. the manual I was using does not match so it's impossible to give you the right numbers on parts. Gonna call Yamaha next and see what they can find.

Comment

Does it not have a model # plate and serial number on the back?
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

From a 2012 post somewhere on the net: "thanks to all! this amp is prior to the "G" series. it was made in 74 or 75. I was able to get the question thru to Yamaha and they responded that they don't have the schematic nor owner's manual archived."

Comment

Hi Zintere,
                          Firstly I thought we better make sure of the model number.

It seems Yamaha call it HUNDRED B212 on the face plate , G100B-212 on
                          the back plate (also s/n) and G100-B212 on the advertising !!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	G100-B212 or G100B-212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	845041

The G100-B212 has two channels , reverb and distortion but no tremolo.

Is this the one you have?

Name:	Yamaha G100-B212.jpg
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	845042

I haven't been able to download the schematic but have found 2 that are similar to the page from the service manual you posted.
                          One SM is G100-115, 410, 412 Service Manual.pdf which I found here as Yamaha-G100-115-service-manual.pdf

http://schems.com/bmampscom/yamaha/Y...ice-manual.pdf

The other SM is Yamaha G100 Service Manual.pdf or G100_SM_E.pdf which can be found here in two parts.

You will need Winrar (Rarlab) and win zip.

Yamaha G100, G112, G212 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics
                          Yamaha G100, G112, G212 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

There are 4 separate files in here .. the one I was looking at is G100_SM_E.pdf which is a 100w head.

The preamps are not the correct ones in all of these.

Here is the "matching" page to yours from both SM's ... they mention 10mv at the test points.

Name:	Page 8 Yamaha G100 SM & Page 3 G100-115.jpg
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	845043

Analog Alley claim to have a Yamaha G100B-212 Service Manual for $13.95
                          https://www.analogalley.com/osccart/...roducts_id=659

I also found a post at DIYaudio by Amptech who offers the schematic if a member pm's him.
                          This was in Feb. 2014.
                          Yamaha 100-b212 - diyAudio

That's about all I can offer in the way of help.

Hope it's of some use.

O.C.

Comment

This gent has the Owners Manual for sale.

1974 YAMAHA GUITAR AMPLIFIER MODEL G100B-212 - Owners Manual | eBay

Comment

Try this:
                              Attached Files
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X