Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra Plus - No Clean and switching issues

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of some problems with a Peavey Ultra Plus head. First, the channel volumes are really low. With the footswitch, i am only able to active the Clean and the Crunch settings. Ultra does not activate and the light does not come on, as is the same with the effects bypass. I can jump from pin 4-5 and from pin 4-7 to get the relays to engage. When i plug into the effects return i'm getting a strong output signal, so i believe it's in the preamp.

The schematic has me a bit turned around as to what relay is in charge of what, and these clamp circuits always lose me. It seems like something is blocking a portion of the signal before V3 or V4. The switches in the foot pedal all seem to be fine as do the LEDs. Any insight as to what relays/diodes/transistors i might want to look at and what voltages should be there?

Peavey-Ultra-Plus-Schematic.pdf

Often its one of the JFET muting transistors gone bad, see here
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t248/

Comment

Well it seems i'm getting zero voltage at Q5 and Q7 which are both part of Clamp C. Looking at the schematic i'm not sure what voltage i should be seeing at the gate. I believe i should be seeing about +20
      Last edited by stereomonostereo; 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

That schematic link is dead: Ultra Plus schematic.zip

Comment

UPDATE: With Q5 removed the signal returns at the volume it should be. I'm still missing the ULTRA switching and the Effects switching on the pedal, but it's progress

Comment

Originally posted by stereomonostereo View Post
            I can jump from pin 4-5 and from pin 4-7 to get the relays to engage.
            Maybe I'm misunderstanding as this says to me that the problem is in the footswitch?
            Or are the relays engaging but not doing their job?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Pins 4-5 switch from Ultra to Clean, Pins 4-7 switch from Ultra to Crunch. Those are working correctly at the plug. I believe that if i jump 4-6 i should be hearing the relay engage for the effects bypass and i'm getting nothing.

Comment

Here's my footswitch wiring Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra 60,120 fs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	844942

Comment

WHAT FX loop relay? There is none, the third stomp switch runs the reverb, and that has no relay, it is done with JFETs.

If this is not working switching, look to your pedal and cable.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

My bad, the pedal has it labeled Effects Bypass. I'll check the pedal again

Comment

pin 4 was ground? The two other pins were live relay coil circuits, so maybe 24vDC? So inside teh switch unit, either the common has continuity to amp ground or not, the incoming hot pins either show their voltage on the switches or not, and the switches either close or do not. If any thing is missing, then look to teh cable for either a broken conductor in one or more of the wires, or for broken solder on teh DIN plug.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm getting +24 at pins 1,2,3,5, and 7 and -17 at pin 6 with the Channel switch pressed in on the front of the amp. I have the reverb working, but i had to reverse the red and black LED leads in order to get it to function. Currently the rest of the footswitch is wired according to the above diagram. Here's what i've got:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pv1.JPG
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	844995
                        Crunch Channel Activated
                        ULTRA and CLEAN LEDs on

Name:	pv2.JPG
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	844996
                        Clean Channel
                        CRUNCH and CLEAN LEDs on

Name:	pv3.JPG
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	844997
                        Clean Channel
                        CRUNCH LED on

It's almost like the CLEAN and CRUNCH LEDs are working backwards. Could this use a different wiring diagram considering the REVERB switch didn't work until i reversed the LED from the diagram?

Comment

The diagram you posted does not show the polarity of the Led's.
                          Did it work with the amp before? Is it made to work with this model? Has someone rewired it to work with something else?
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The diagram has them labeled Red and Black which i just assumed was positive negative. Someone was definitely in here before. I returned it to the wiring diagram and that's where i'm at now

Comment

I've got it sorted. The red leg of the CRUNCH LED gets wired to pin 1. The red leg of the CLEAN LED gets wired to pin 3. The REVERB LED gets the black leg wired to pin 2. Why this one is different is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                              X