No power at the preamp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power at the preamp tubes

My first build is a 5e3 kit from Tube Depot and things were going well. No funny smells and the rectifier glows and I have 440 Volts on the positive side of the left most electrolytic cap! But, when I installed the preamp tubes I'm not getting any reading on the tiny right most electrolytics and the tubes don't get warm.

Does anyone have a link to what the reading should be all over the board? The downside to the kit is it uses a PCB so I don't know if the readings can be done the same way.

All help is greatly appreciated!

First off.
    Do the preamp tubes have heater voltage/ Volts ac (the twisted together wires.)

Voltage test points to me would be the plates & the cathodes (Volts dc).

tweed5e3kit schematic.pdf

tweed5e3kit layout.zip

Comment

Thank you! I can't get to it until Monday, but I will report back. I found a layout chart with some values to test against: https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm

I have seen the person who did that page post here. This is a really nice explanation for newbies like me. Enough information to make it understandable and not so much it's overwhelming. Great job!

Since it is still too cold to build guitars it has been very interesting to really focus on the other end and the combination of a steep learning curve with all new myths and hypotheses about where the mojo is hidden and can anyone hear it lol.

Comment

I got it! Bad solder joint on the green power wire. It sounds pretty good though I know it should improve a bit as the caps, resistors and speaker break in. This is so exciting!

Comment

Working...
        X