Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody done critical measurement compilation of off-the-shelf HB bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody done critical measurement compilation of off-the-shelf HB bobbins?

I have a one-off, unconventional project for a good customer of mine; neck and bridge humbucker. Both pickups will be pretty full but the bridge will quite literally be as much wire the bobbin will accept.

I'm wondering, between all these readily available aftermarket bobbins out there, if anyone here has determined sameness between some of these outlets, or that one bobbin is a couple TPL's taller than another. To be clear I'm not referring to a bobbin that's intentionally differently sized. Fender has noticeably taller bobbins for example (the models with pins and standoffs) and that's not what I want to do. There are some oddball Asian factory dimensions as well, also not suitable. I'm looking for a bobbin being sold as a standard PAF dimension, but is on the large side of that. I'm not as concerned about bobbin material as I am real estate.

Also if any of you have some bobbins that you chose not to use because they were out of spec (on the high side) I can just buy those from you. Thanks everyone!

Frank,

Most of the P.A.F. style bobbins are pretty close in bobbin height, but do vary a little bit from manufacturer to manufacturer and even by material. But with your pedigree & background, I am sure you know this already. Do you need both slug and screw bobbins & what color(s)? I will check my oddball drawer to see what I might have that will help. I'll try to check tomorrow.

Have you considered going with a 42.5 gauge to give you the extra room for a higher TPL count? Maybe even try single build insulation wire...not sure what type of insulation and wire you are using for this project (42...single, heavy, or triple).

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Darr; 03-12-2017, 12:41 AM.
    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Pretty sure all unusual spec bobbins will come for offshore .I do have samples of most if that would be if interest .
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yeah it's funny I could tell you the difference between certain pickup companies' bobbins but I have no visibility on the hobbyist stuff. I just know that in this group people have complained about certain bobbins not matching PAF specs, or there's a thread about Allparts switching vendors, then switching back...whether Stew Mac is the same exact part as Allparts, whether Mojo or AddictionFX is different, etc.

I figured someone's complaint of lack of authenticity might be of use to this particular pickup. Yes I need screw and slug.

If you take the simplest math, and just say 100TPL, x 5000 turns = 50 layers. So 1 more TPL equates to 50 turns, 2 more is 100...in any event I've measured more than a 2% delta between different companies' bobbins so I know an oversized one is out there.

The wire is what's fixed. I'm using Cardas wire, 41, heavy build. So the right amount of wire for this objective is literally "as much as will fit" for the bridge, and then I'll adjust the turn count down proportionally for the neck.

Comment

I have samples here from that measure .258 ",.260" & .340" that can be found in the US .But they came from China .some of them you can forget about details like the the Square in the circle hole & maybe spacing as most are 50mm or 52mm .... they are not exactly PAF correct

Comment

For these I don't care about the drain holes or the pole spacing necessarily. Just maxing the turn count for the bridge version. Those .260's sound cool, what are they? We can continue offline but did you mean to sell me the stuff you have or point me in the direction of the vendor? I'm good either way.

Comment

The bobbins that I have that are .260" came from addiction FX , so you may want to contact Dennis addiction fx
              Humbucker Slug Side Pickup Bobbin-Cream color, 52mm, 2 pieces | eBay
              other suppliers ,guitar parts USA had taller bobbins not sure if they are in business now as there site is down
              Web Page - Guitar Parts USA The Source for Guitar Parts for Electric, Bass Guitars
              Also check with Kent Armstrong or WD music

Comment

Working...
              X