Need replacement cord for old Danelectro Nifty Fifty amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need replacement cord for old Danelectro Nifty Fifty amp

Hi. Just got an old beat up 50 and need a power cord. Does anyone know the type and where to purchase? And yes, I'm a first-time newbie/gremmy to this forum so many thanks for just reading this question.
    Pdshane

Online pictures show itīs a modern SS amp with a modern IEC connector on the back, so any standard IEC mains cable will do.

Just try to get a somewhat long one, typical "computer/printer/monitor" ones will work, but are inconveniently short, around 1 meter (3 to 4 feet) , you need at least twice that for comfort.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

...and those cords are so common that many people have extras. Many new pieces of equipment come with one of those cords and, when the equipment reaches end of life, the cord is still good. In my area I often see them in recycling bins. Many times they are unused in their original packaging. Additionally all the thrift stores have good supplies for a fraction of the new cost.

Edit: Note that you could borrow a power cord from another piece of equipment and use it to try out your amp.

It is helpful if you include your location in your profile. You don't need to list your exact address but, if members know your general location, they can often supply more helpful answers to your questions.

Cheers,
      Tom
      Last edited by Tom Phillips; 03-12-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

We have hundreds at work!

People throw them out all the time with dead computers or printers.

You can even find them at thrift stores for alot cheaper than a regular store.
        Thrift stores actually have all kinds of cables for computers, games or electronics.

I know because my 12 yr old mad scientist gets all kinds of stuff there and built a huge stereo system for very little money.

Comment

I use them as hard wired cord replacements too. I can buy a used IEC cord for 25 cents to a dollar most anywhere. I cut the female end off, and wire it up to the unit. WAY cheaper than buying a "real" power cord.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And by the way... These power cords come with right angle ends too! It might not matter a lot for an amplifier since it will usually face away from traffic, but even then I'm finding these connectors are a little too easily kicked or accidentally pulled out. When kicked or snagged, it can sometimes crack the connector too, which has already happened to one of my performance pedal boards. So I've been slowly changing all my cords over to the right angle kind, and I'm hoping it will cut back on such mishaps a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rt_angleSpadecord.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	844950

Comment

Fellas, I believe he could be talking about a vintage late-50's or early 60's Danelectro Explorer Nifty 50. I have one of those and of course it came with a two-prong power cord.

Name:	Nifty 50.jpg
Size:	536.2 KB
ID:	844952

Name:	Nifty 50 rear.jpg
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	844953

Comment

COOL amp and it must sound killer, but not sure it might be the OP one, I see the old ones called Explorer or 290 and a couple other names but so far never "Nifty 50".
                IF so, he should not get a "replacement" (2 wire) cord but reform it to grounded 3 wire one, adding the proper grounded lug in the chassis.
                Loved the old Dano hardboard speaker baffle , ultra thin walls, wallpaper covering, etc. ; which is holding surprisingly well, specially considering they didnīt care much about metal corner protectors.
                I *screams* CHEEEAAAAPPPPP !!! yet they sound good ... wonders of a simple tube circuit and classic Jensen speaker.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  COOL amp and it must sound killer, but not sure it might be the OP one, I see the old ones called Explorer or 290 and a couple other names but so far never "Nifty 50".
                  IF so, he should not get a "replacement" (2 wire) cord but reform it to grounded 3 wire one, adding the proper grounded lug in the chassis.
                  Loved the old Dano hardboard speaker baffle , ultra thin walls, wallpaper covering, etc. ; which is holding surprisingly well, specially considering they didnīt care much about metal corner protectors.
                  I *screams* CHEEEAAAAPPPPP !!! yet they sound good ... wonders of a simple tube circuit and classic Jensen speaker.
                  It sure is. When I landed my first professional gig I used one of these and would call it my "Mesa Boogie." I cranked it to "10" and let'er rip playing country, Motown, blues, rock, you name it. Still have that amp with the original Jensen 15" speaker. Mine is a 1963 as far as I can tell by dating the parts.

Comment

I want to sincerely thank everyone who replied. I'm somewhat embarrassed--and had a pretty good feeling I was going to be--as I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of special cord. I was hoping it was a common, garden-variety standard that could be used. My Nifty 50 is probably from the late '90s.

pdshane

Comment

Comment

No problems.
                        As long as a question is asked politely like yours, it will be answered politely.

No matter how difficult or simple it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X