Distortion Booster in Thomas Vox V1032?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice work, Mel!
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

OK, silly but simple question here. I just picked up a V1032 Cambridge. I only collect Vox tube amps, so I don't know a whole lot about the Thomas solid state amps. This V1032 amp is missing the pilot light bulb.

What light bulb # goes in the V1032?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnysavant View Post
        OK, silly but simple question here. I just picked up a V1032 Cambridge. I only collect Vox tube amps, so I don't know a whole lot about the Thomas solid state amps. This V1032 amp is missing the pilot light bulb.

What light bulb # goes in the V1032?
        My parts list has the pilot lamp as a #1892 lamp.

See if that looks like it is the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          My parts list has the pilot lamp as a #1892 lamp.

See if that looks like it is the correct one.
          Thanx, the 1892 is the right size and socket. It's a 14.4v bulb. However, I'm measuring 24v on the socket. So, something doesn't add up. The voltage dropping resistor on the tap might be way off. I guess I'll have to do some more checking before I start sacrificing bulbs.

Thanx again.

Comment

Without a working bulb, there will be no voltage drop across the resistor. If your lamp draws 100ma, 10v will drop across that 100 ohm resistor.

Got another 100 ohm resistor? Clip it across the bulb socket, now see if you don;t have about 12v on the socket.

Ohm's Law.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
              How times have changed... back in the day when I was young you could pick up a complete, working Super Beatle and cab with frame for $50-$75 because nobody wanted one. We would pull the speakers out to make monitor wedges and toss the rest in the dumpster!
              And *thatīs* why they are unavailable/expensive today.
              Supply and demand baby
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Without a working bulb, there will be no voltage drop across the resistor. If your lamp draws 100ma, 10v will drop across that 100 ohm resistor.

Got another 100 ohm resistor? Clip it across the bulb socket, now see if you don;t have about 12v on the socket.

Ohm's Law.
                Aha... OK, I'll check it out. There's already one 100 ohm in the circuit. I'll add another across the socket and test it.

Thx

Comment

I added the second resistor only as a substitute for the bulb. To demonstrate that a load (bulb or resistor) will cause that voltage to fall into place. I was not suggesting adding more resistance to the circuit as a modification.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    I added the second resistor only as a substitute for the bulb. To demonstrate that a load (bulb or resistor) will cause that voltage to fall into place. I was not suggesting adding more resistance to the circuit as a modification.
                    Right, that was my understanding also.

Comment

Working...
                    X