Question about 7591 tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 7591 tubes

This drawing looks like I make the 348v grid connection at both pins 4 & 8. Can anyone shed some wisdom on me about what's going on there? Tube data shows they are both G2, why not be able to connect to only one of the pins?

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

The screen pins should be tied together for "efficient operation of the screen". (from the data sheet/ last page)

7591.pdf

Comment

And, Ampeg did exactly that. They're the most frequent guitar-amp user of those tubes. Of course, for "inefficient" screen operation... doesn't say anything will explode now, does it?

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the two pins were connected to each end of the screen grid (in fact, that's how it's drawn in the RCA manual page). In that case, connecting both == minimum impedance, best result, but either end would still work.

Comment

Often times the internal structure of a tube dictates the pin connections. In this case note that pins 4 and 8 are located directly opposite each other. The screen grid consists of a pair of vertical rods that go through the bottom mica disc, straight through the glass and into the base without any bends. A spiral wire between the vertical rods forms the screen grid. This may be the only support for the internal structure of the tube while it is being assembled.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
          X