wah sounds better without resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wah sounds better without resistor

Ive modified a wah pedal with the Q resistor mod, I removed the resistor and soldered 2 wires and added a 1k pot and it works well, but I then removed the pot and found that it sounds even better, so without a resistor and pot it sounds great, is it ok to leave it like this? ive not read this happening with anyone else, I would prefer to have a pot to adjust this value but if im forced to go without I will, it sounds that good, in fact after doing lots of mods ive lost a lot of treble somehow, and this has fixed it. So does this mean that without the resistor the value is 0(zero)k?

Just to clarify im wondering why the pot is not giving me the same amount of treble? and asking if its safe to leave the circuit empty,because I read somewhere that its safer to have something in there than nothing.
    Thanks all.

Which resistor? The 33k across the inductor?

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
      Which resistor? The 33k across the inductor?
      Yea thats the one

Comment

If you want the best of both worlds then use a bigger pot, say 100K. It does no harm to leave the resistor/pot out.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
          If you want the best of both worlds then use a bigger pot, say 100K. It does no harm to leave the resistor/pot out.
          This is the thing though, ive tried that and other value pots but it always sounds so kick ass without the pot and resistor, its annoying because I want that intensity and control of it, with the pot its more muffled and never gets as sharp as without the pot.

Cool to know its safe to leave it out thanks, but it would be preferable to have control of it with a pot. What im gonna do is try a 12 position switch with resistors and take it down to 1k and see if that gives me the same intense sharpness, if so I will use the switch instead which sucks cos they are big and I have no room left.

Comment

68k across the inductor is a standard mod value. 100k pot with or without a resistor would work. Also read a 51k is the best sounding. The lower the value, the lower the "q" , and more bland sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
              68k across the inductor is a standard mod value. 100k pot with or without a resistor would work. Also read a 51k is the best sounding. The lower the value, the lower the "q" , and more bland sounding.
              Thanks for that info, it seems the problem I had was a temporary one because its ok now, I tried the switch thing and it worked ok, so I tried the pot again and this time its working ok, strange. Also I made a mistake in my first post, I said 1k pot but I meant 100k, thats what im using now and all thats needed, nothing happens after around 70k.

Ive tried the thing where you hover around 33k to 60k looking for sweet spots a lot in the past but I always find that just full 100k is full intensity and sounds the best for me, but ive never found any sweet spots yet, maybe later I will because ive never actually used it yet just tests.

Comment

Working...
              X