Laney VC15-110 overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney VC15-110 overheating?

I have a Laney VC-15 110 guitar amp which works perfectly... but only for a short amount of time.

After 5-10 minutes it goes silent. The red power LED remains lit but the tubes go out and it is silent. If i switch it off and come back a while later it will work again.

I did some googling and found an old thread mentioning a thermal fuse, also referred to as a polyswitch being responsible for this kind of issue with this amp.

I found a low res schematic and proceeded to take the amp apart.

I think I have found the polyswitch (two in fact) and they are labelled as JK60 030.

It would be great to understand from someone more knowledgable than myself if my self-diagnosis matches my amps symptoms and if so, what i should be replacing these polyswitches with. If you need any further info or photos of the amp circuitry please let me know.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170329_172551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	871455

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-29 at 17.29.42.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	871457
    Attached Files

I think your conclusions are reasonable. As a test just short out the polyswitch and see if the problem is fixed. Then you have to decide if the one that is in there is faulty or if it's a design shortcoming. The purpose is to protect the transformer. You can try the next lower resistance one JK060-040 but the fault current will be higher before it trips. That said, the tolerance on these things is huge so consider an anti surge fuse instead.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Nick.

I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing. What would be the best way to short one? Should I do both or just one? If just one, which one?

Comment

As far as I can see the schematic doesn't show them. My guess they are in parallel and replace the 5A fuse in the heater circuit (bottom right of sch). If you have a meter you can use the ohms range to verify that they connect to the heaters and also whether they are in parallel.

The quick answer - short one out and see what happens.

Comment

The VC30 uses both for the HT winding. (edit: actually not HT but LV)
          If it's the same you will have to short both of them.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by g1; 03-30-2017, 12:15 AM.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            The VC30 uses both for the HT winding.
            If it's the same you will have to short both of them.
            g1: I think you meant LV - they are for the +/-15V supplies.

I bet the VC15 is the same especially since looking at the photos. If that is true and if you are seeing the tube stop heating up then you have a different problem. I'd be looking for a dry joint of bad connection in the heater circuit.

Get your meter out and determine which part of the circuit those polys are connected to.

Comment

Right Nick, LV not HT, thanks!
              That VC30 also shows a polyfuse for the heaters, F4 in VC30 (shown beside hum adjust pot).
              I've had to replace a few in other Laney models. Again, it can be shorted with a wire to test.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X