Need help with my Mesa Mark V. No power on V1, V2 & V5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my Mesa Mark V. No power on V1, V2 & V5

Please help me with this complicated beast. I have power to all other tubes. I checked the tubes. They are good. I also don't have any front panel lights. I found a schematic on here but this thing is going to be really difficult to trace. Is this a common problem with these amps? Where should I start? Please help me avoid sending this thing to Cali. Thanks in advance!

A good start would be to post a link to the schematic you found so we can have a look.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'll try. I'm pretty much computer illiterate.

Comment

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/mvschemo%20(1).pdf

Comment

That link is to the file on your hard drive - no good here. Click Go Advanced below, then Manage Attachments, then navigate to the file, click Add Files, and navigate to the file.

I suspect that unlike the rest, those three tubes are fed by a 12VDC filament supply, giving you 6VDC across each heater. If so, there will be a TO220 regulator IC somewhere on the chassis.

Comment

On pg.1 of the schematic, there is a LM2940 regulator powering the heaters of V1, V2, and V5.
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              On pg.1 of the schematic, there is a LM2940 regulator powering the heaters of V1, V2, and V5.
              Weird... I can't find that one. I found an LM780. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Redline View Post
                I'm supposing you mean 7805 (5V regulator). I'm guessing, but I would suppose that the LM2940 might be screwed to the chassis, maybe under a board? It would get a bit warm supplying filament current to 3 tubes. You should be able to trace it from that bridge rectifier circuit that precedes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redline View Post
                  To be clear. It was just mentioned as being in the circuit. This does not mean that the LM2940 in your amp is bad. Troubleshooting needs to be done to determine what exactly is wrong with the amp you have.

Comment

I found an LM780. That's all.
                    The one you found (circled in blue) is on the back panel PCB and is there to supply 5V to the LM3914 chip and the foot controller.
                    The 12V one (circled in red) is bolted to the chassis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MarkVregulators.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	845206

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Work has been crazy. I had to pull that VR IC to check it but it tested good. Back at it!

Comment

What is the voltage going in to the regulator?
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yep,.....easier to check in circuit. It's simple voltage in and voltage out.

Comment

Too hard for me, even if I am trying to follow all the steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Orbeck View Post
                              Too hard for me, even if I am trying to follow all the steps.
                              Did you locate the regulator like circled in red in post #10 above?
                              Here is the pinout, what DC voltages do you measure at pin 1 and pin 3?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LM2940T-12-Low-Dropout-Positive-Voltage-Regulator-IC.png
Views:	194
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	936313

Comment

Working...
                              X