Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new manual winder option

Guitar Pickup Manual Coil Winder | CNC Design Limited

Looks solidly built, with add-on ports for a traverse, etc.

Anybody given this a whirl yet?

I'm seriously considering one, if only for the ease of convenience of the pre drilled plate - which I'm assuming has 49.2mm humbucker spacing. Other manual winders I've looked at seem set up for single coils, out of the box.

The expansion potential looks interesting too.

Comment

As they say on their blurb sheet, "good luck you mad winder(s)"
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

This winder was selling through a UK guitar parts site, looks like they've taken the stock back to their own website and put it on sale.
        £280 + tax

I ended up buying the auto cnc mini winder, otherwise would be jumping on this.

Comment

I just watched the video on the winder site.
          I am a manual winder, and I have some reservations about this winder.
          It looks like it winds very extremely fast, but what about slower practical winding speeds.
          No one that I know of winds manually at 5000 rpm.
          I never did see it go much below 1000 rpm.
          I do a lot of slower winding at the beginning and end, and never exceed 1500 rpm or so.
          You notice they never actually wind a pickup in the vid?
          I would need a lot more practical info before I would bite on one!
          Those are my observations.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I just watched the video on the winder site.
            I am a manual winder, and I have some reservations about this winder.
            It looks like it winds very extremely fast, but what about slower practical winding speeds.
            No one that I know of winds manually at 5000 rpm.
            I never did see it go much below 1000 rpm.
            I do a lot of slower winding at the beginning and end, and never exceed 1500 rpm or so.
            You notice they never actually wind a pickup in the vid?
            I would need a lot more practical info before I would bite on one!
            Those are my observations.
            T
            Huh? It's capable of winding that fast but can wind as slow as you like via the controller.

https://youtu.be/xNDFtSvn2mE

Comment

I just watched the video, and it may be fine.
              I don't like the noise though.
              My mojo winder is much quieter!
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 07-30-2017, 03:30 AM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I think this is better, and better value, than the Mojo unit. Living in the UK is usually a pain for guitar related purchases but I would chalk this one up as a win.

Comment

Just so everyone has the info to purchase, without any surprises.
                  I'll keep what I have, with built in gauss meter.
                  Good luck with your purchase!
                  You can also purchase some ear plugs, at the shooting section of walmart to go with the noisy winder!
                  Keep on Rockin!
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 07-29-2017, 07:46 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

I'm a complete beginner, and I'm considering this machine. I'm in the EU, so UK is a plus comparing with USA or China (customs, shipment time, etc).

I should start posting alot around here...

Comment

Originally posted by metale View Post
                      I'm a complete beginner, and I'm considering this machine. I'm in the EU, so UK is a plus comparing with USA or China (customs, shipment time, etc).

I should start posting alot around here...
                      Yes you should $-)

And if you buy the winder, please let everyone know how it works out.

Comment

One thing that keeps me on the fende about this winder is the plate is well prepared for humbucker coils but using magnets to fit a strat coil does not seem like a great ideia (as seen on the demonstration video). Thick double-sided tape? Doesn't that leave residue on the coil?

Comment

Metale,

a simple tailstock to hold the pickup in place from the outside might be the easiest solution. Most double stick tapes leave no residue unless you leave parts stuck for an extended period. You can always clean off the magnets with acetone or paint thinner. I'd ask the manufacturer to make you other plates to fit all the pickups you intend to wind. I make my own plates and you definitely need to decide ahead of time on flatwork dimensions and or magnet spacing.

Comment

I've been using these lately: Scotch Restickable Dots

They are awesome, and unlike some double-sided foam tapes, they release cleanly and can be re-used many times.

Now, I have a tail stock, too, so I'm not sure if these would hold strongly enough on their own. The larger tabs look like they have a stronger grip, so they might work better with no other support.

Comment

Working...
                            X