1974 Musima Multi Star stratocaster wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Musima Multi Star stratocaster wiring

Ok, this is going to be a tough one without some assistance [or better yet, a photo!]
    Anybody out there have a west German Musima Muliti Star stratocaster?
    its the same model as the one in this youtube video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0931.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	871495

Name:	DSCN0929_zpsyhksy6eq.jpg
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	871497

Name:	DSCN0930.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	871496

I REALLY want to restore this guitar to its original condition as its a great player! But I'm afraid these RFT components and wiring are a mystery to me.The mini 6 terminal switch looks like only 2 terminals were wired from the factory as the other 4 have no solder on them.
    https://soundcloud.com/damalistik/ro...ival-dubplatessigpic

It sounds like the standard Strat pickup selection to start with. i.e. N, N+M, M, M+B, B then he operates the bottom switch which can't do a lot if only two connections are used so I'm guessing it switches the neck pickup to be always on to give N+B, N+M+B, N+M, N+M, N as he moves the selector back up. That's what it sounds like to me anyway so we need to figure out how to make that funky selector switch do the standard Strat switching.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
      It sounds like the standard Strat pickup selection to start with. i.e. N, N+M, M, M+B, B then he operates the bottom switch which can't do a lot if only two connections are used so I'm guessing it switches the neck pickup to be always on to give N+B, N+M+B, N+M, N+M, N as he moves the selector back up. That's what it sounds like to me anyway so we need to figure out how to make that funky selector switch do the standard Strat switching.
      Hi Dave, Thanks ! Well, as luck would have it, I have another Musima stratocaster. Its a 'Lead Star' and has the same 5-way switch only instead of the mini switch it has a standard Vol/Tone/Tone. I will post a pic of this pickguard but unfortunately, the 5-way selector looks to have zero in common with the wiring on the 'Multi Star De Luxe that I'm trying to fix. Here is a photo for comparison.

Comment

Name:	DSCN0934 (1).JPG
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	845268

Name:	DSCN0935.JPG
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	845269

Name:	DSCN0936.JPG
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	845270Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0939.JPG
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	845271

Comment

And here's a side by side comparison between the Multi Star de luxe that needs wiring [blue wires]
          and the working Lead Star 5-way switch

Name:	DSCN0930.JPG
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	845272

Name:	DSCN0943.JPG
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	845274
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by czech-one-2 View Post
            And here's a side by side comparison between the Multi Star de luxe that needs wiring [blue wires]
            and the working Lead Star 5-way switch
            It looks like it could be a 4 pole 5 way switch. The 20 pins of the 4 poles are on the outside and the 4 wipers are connected together in the middle. It could be wired to give the standard Strat PU options as I have done with an Ultra-Switch below. Poles a and b of the switch select the standard Strat PU options and pole c selects which tone pot works on which PU (I didn't use pole d). I wired it so the back tone pot works on the Bridge PU alone (position 1 of the switch). Positions 2-5 of the switch use the other tone pot but it could easily be linked for each PU to use either tone pot (or none).

Name:	Strat1.png
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	845275
            Last edited by Dave H; 04-12-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              It looks like it could be a 4 pole 5 way switch. The 20 pins of the 4 poles are on the outside and the 4 wipers are connected together in the middle. It could be wired to give the standard Strat PU options as I have done with an Ultra-Switch below. Poles a and b of the switch select the standard Strat PU options and pole c selects which tone pot works on which PU (I didn't use pole d). I wired it so the back tone pot works on the Bridge PU alone (position 1 of the switch). Positions 2-5 of the switch use the other tone pot but it could easily be linked for each PU to use either tone pot (or none).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43186[/ATTACH]
              Yeah, on my working lead Star, the 4 wipers in the center are connected together. But not on the one I'm trying to fix. I think the pickup wires conected directly to the 4 wiper lugs in the center of the one with the blue wires? Would that make sense?

Comment

Yeah, on my working lead Star, the 4 wipers in the center are connected together. But not on the one I'm trying to fix. I think the pickup wires conected directly to the 4 wiper lugs in the center of the one with the blue wires? Would that make sense?
                Yes, it makes sense. I've just sketched it out and it is possible to get the standard Strat PU selection by connecting the pickups directly to 3 wipers which leaves the fourth wiper for tone pot selection. If you can't figure it out I'll draw up the sketch and post it.

Comment

Musima owners rejoice!
                  Linus,the guy that made that youtube demo, just happened to have some photos of his Musima Multi Star wiring, including detailed photos of his switch.
                  I'll post them here for future reference incase somebody else runs into the same problem.
                  So, neck AND bridge pickup hot and ground wires go to the center wipers. The middle pickup + goes to the mini switch, but I'm not sure where it goes from there? Looks like lug 2 of the RFT tone pot,and on to the switch. Honestly, I cant envision what the heck this switch is doing, but now its going to work!

Its so cool when a stranger on youtube takes the time to help a fellow guitar player fix his guitar. And this place is awesome, you guys have bailed me out several times. Thanks Dave.

Name:	Wiring (3).jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	845282

Name:	Wiring (4).jpg
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	845283

Name:	Wiring.jpg
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	845284

Name:	Wiring (2).jpg
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	845285

Name:	Wiring (1).jpg
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	845286

Comment

Success!!!!!

Name:	DSCN0949.JPG
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	845295

Name:	DSCN0946.JPG
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	845296

Comment

It's still not too late to put a 62 Strat pickguard on it, and politely put that one in the large round file!
                      T
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

^ lol! Actually, these pickups sound great! [if you like low output ceramic pickups]. Killer clean tone and twang.
                        But if you have a 62' loaded pickguard that you want to donate to a good cause pm me!

Comment

^ lol! Actually, these pickups sound great! [if you like low output ceramic pickups]. Killer clean tone and twang.
                          But if you have a 62' loaded pickguard that you want to donate to a good cause pm me!
                          Have one yes? Donate it No.
                          I've built up quite a few of them the last 6-8 years.
                          Was just razzing you.
                          Glad you like yours.
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X