New model Fender Bassbreaker 15 repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New model Fender Bassbreaker 15 repair

Fixed one of these new models yesterday.
    Looks like fender are in competition with Peavey and ENGL to produce
    the world’s hardest amp to service!

The amp had a shorted EL84 but when I replaced them the same socket made the new valve (sorry , Tube) draw excessive current.
    Very hard to even see the component side of the PCB but managed to meter the 2 240E 5W cathode resistors, one of which measured 70 Ohms.

I marked all the interconnect leads and removed about 30 screws, lots of cable ties to remove the PCB.

Found the cathode resistors paralleled with 47uF and a 35V 5Watt Zener, one of which had become a resistor.
    They probably thought that this very fault condition would not have enough current to damage a 5W clamping zener?

Removed both Zeners, re assembled the mess and all working properly again.
    The repair took 4 hours!
    The customer came from Albany 30 miles away so I did the repair in front of him.
    No schematics are around for this model yet (PR 3034)
    Attached Files

Bluh! But glad you got it fixed!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Wow! I've been waiting for the Bassbreaker repairs to drop, and am not surprised it's so difficult to get under the main PCB. You are a madman for taking that on with a customer watching! Great job. Nerves of steel.

Wondering if the Bassbreaker 45 is as much of a PITA.
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	845266Repaired an ENGL Savage 120 last week, now that amp is a PITA!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by unparalleled; 04-11-2017, 10:17 PM. Reason: Missed a photo

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          You are a madman for taking that on with a customer watching! Great job. Nerves of steel.
          I agree. It's unparalleled.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
            I agree. It's unparalleled.
            I see what you did there, Dave H.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by unparalleled View Post
              Repaired an ENGL Savage 120 last week, now that amp is a PITA!
              I love that PCB presentation of solder-side-first. Like, nope, talk to the hand.
              --
              I build and repair guitar amps
              http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

The worst part was the interconnecting lead terminations were all covered in silicon goop and many of them need to be removed and desoldered to lift the PCB.
                Originally posted by xtian View Post
                I love that PCB presentation of solder-side-first. Like, nope, talk to the hand.

Comment

Anyone have a schematic for the Bassbreaker 007? Got one in. Treble is acting like a volume. Checked all caps leading to the Treble pot and none are a dead short.

Comment

Has to be something in the tone stack, not necessarily the treble components.
                    The stack is typical of all Fenders.

Comment

Did you CALL Fender and ask if they would provide it?
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, they would not.

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
                          Yes, they would not.
                          May not be the answer but heres some links for thought on the issue at hand.
                          Tone controls acting like volumes! Need Help!

Vintage Amps Bulletin Board ? View topic - '59 Bassman Treble down = Volume Up.

Hope they help.

nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Thanks, sorry for the dual thread I'll stick with the other one that I started.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t44526/

Comment

How much takes for straight on four full working hours for a 500 bucks amp? Half?
                              Last edited by catalin gramada; 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM.
                              "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Working...
                              X