DC coupled cathode follower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC coupled cathode follower

OK I get the main idea, not quite there yet on all of the theory.

The Valve Wizard

Aiken says, about adding this circuit after the phase inverter:

"This effectively isolates the output tube grid circuit from the phase inverter and its associated AC coupling, and provides a very low impedance source for the output stage. This will prevent the output stage from going into grid clamp, and will eliminate the long time constant of the AC coupling."

here:
    What Is "Blocking" Distortion?

so, a really naive question: if the cathode follower is put between the phase inverter and output stage, won't you still need a coupling cap between the cathode follower and input grid of the output tubes?

Ive been searching for a production amp schematic that has a dc coupled cathoder follower between the phase inverter and output tubes, but haven't found one. Seems to be popular to put them in the preamp, before the tone stack, like the Marshall JTM45. But long tail pair phase inverters seem to mostly all dump their output right through a cap to the output tubes.

?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Is this one?
    http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thet...-Schematic.pdf

Wow, how many tubes can you fit in one amplifier, anyway? When the dude switches this amp on, the street lights dim.
    http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thet...-Schematic.pdf
    Last edited by mikepukmel; 04-13-2017, 02:19 AM.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Wow, how many tubes can you fit in one amplifier, anyway? When the dude switches this amp on, the street lights dim.
      [/QUOTE]

Ever heard one up close and in person, or better yet, played one on 7? All those tubes are worth it!

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yes, the SVT is an example.
        Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
        Wow, how many tubes can you fit in one amplifier, anyway?
        At least this many. Twelve is just for the power amp, another 4 in the preamp.
        Cathode follower drivers are not DC coupled though.
        smyba300.pdf
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
          Yes, the SVT uses a cathode follower which is DC COUPLED to the output tubes. Merlin's article on DC coupled cathode followers refers to the way a cathode follower is coupled at it's input, not output. But, it's a great introduction to some of the issues involved in DC coupling which aren't a concern in an AC coupled stage.
          You mentioned you had some uncertainty in understanding some of the theory behind this.
          We'd be happy to go into some of the theory behind this approach, and shed some more light on cathode follower circuits. Try this: In your own words, try and explain the parts of the circuit that you understand. When you get to a something which raises questions, it us give us a picture of where your at and provide better answers. That way we're not rewriting Merlin's chapter on cathode followers or telling you something you already know. Of course, we love seeing schematics. Dont br shy about drawing them.
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
            Ever heard one up close and in person, or better yet, played one on 7? All those tubes are worth it!

Justin[/QUOTE]

Oh man I would REALLY like to hear one of these!

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
              Yes, the SVT uses a cathode follower which is DC COUPLED to the output tubes. Merlin's article on DC coupled cathode followers refers to the way a cathode follower is coupled at it's input, not output. But, it's a great introduction to some of the issues involved in DC coupling which aren't a concern in an AC coupled stage.
              You mentioned you had some uncertainty in understanding some of the theory behind this.
              We'd be happy to go into some of the theory behind this approach, and shed some more light on cathode follower circuits. Try this: In your own words, try and explain the parts of the circuit that you understand. When you get to a something which raises questions, it us give us a picture of where your at and provide better answers. That way we're not rewriting Merlin's chapter on cathode followers or telling you something you already know. Of course, we love seeing schematics. Dont br shy about drawing them.
              Thanks I will do that! This is cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Yes, the SVT is an example.

At least this many. Twelve is just for the power amp, another 4 in the preamp.
                Cathode follower drivers are not DC coupled though.
                [ATTACH]43196[/ATTACH]
                that thing is the titanic of tube amplifiers. And its got a whole bunch of other stuff as well. The neighbors would love me!!

Comment

Working...
                X