Help wiring power transformer Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/r...e-light-bulbs/
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The thrift stores in my area have bins full of incandescent bulbs for sale. Usually $0.50 to $1.00 each. Especially a place like the Re-Store which is the Habitat for Humanity sponsored thrift store.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundskeeperWillie View Post
        It's pretty much identical to this Ceritone 2204 layout except the preamp 50/50uf cap is on the chassis in under the turret board
        JCM 800 2203, 2204 Layout
        & the diodes are layed out the same way ,I soldered the high voltage to red wires to them as in the layout
        Considering since this is a frankenstein was this amp ever in a working condition? Once the power supply is straightened out then we can go from there. Also what is the status of the PT is it a pull from something else or is it new?
        Can you give voltages for
        V1 pins 1 through 9
        V2 Pins 1 through 9
        V3 pins 1 through 9
        V4 1 through 8
        and V5 1 through 8?
        Hard data will give better answers than guesses.
        Thanks,
        nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          250 watt?

A hardware store should have "rough service" bulbs. Those are used in "trouble lights", the bulb on the end of an extension cord, like a mechanic uses under your car. Those come in wattages from like 40-150 watts. Even my local mega store has those. Meijer, it is like a Wal MArt with groceries.
          250 is kinda high I never use more thana 40watt as a go no go light.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            The thrift stores in my area have bins full of incandescent bulbs for sale. Usually $0.50 to $1.00 each. Especially a place like the Re-Store which is the Habitat for Humanity sponsored thrift store.
            I wuz gonna say - - - that ^^^ plus garage sales. I picked up a bag full of old incandescents at a church rummage sale for a couple bucks. Though I'm saving cash with LED lamps for home use, I got enough tungsten bulbs to last in dimbulb testers 'til doomsday.

Originally posted by nosaj
            250 is kinda high I never use more thana 40watt as a go no go light.
            If you test really big amps (SVT & other monsters) you'll eventually find a 250W useful.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

V1
              pin 1 430
              2 0
              3 0
              4 -
              5-
              6 430
              7 0
              8 0
              9 -

V2
              1 354
              2 0
              3 0
              4-
              5-
              6 434
              7 354
              8 354
              9-

v3
              1 465
              2 312
              3 352
              4-
              5-
              6 436
              7 275
              8 352
              9-

v4
              1 0
              2 -
              3 515
              4 515
              5 -115
              6 291
              7-
              8 0

v5
              1 0
              2-
              3 515
              4 515
              5 -115
              6 291
              7-
              8 0

Preamp 50/50 filter cap 435
              2nd 50/50 reads 515/472
              first 50/50 reads 514
              Heaters read 2.9 to 3v ac from pin tp ground

Comment

Holey cats, looks like a major ground disconnection. ALL those voltages look super high, as if there's no current thru any of the tubes.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Vi is not conducting any current.
                  Could be caused by:
                  1) The tube is totally dead. So try another tube.
                  2) The heaters are not being powered. You already said that it doesn't light up. This could be caused by the dead tube or a break in the circuit such that the heater voltage doesn't reach the tube's heater pins.
                  3) Both cathode resistors could be open or not connected to ground.

Since you previously said that V1 doesn't light up or get warm I suggest you start by investigating #2 & #1 above in that order.
                  Last edited by Tom Phillips; 04-15-2017, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I fixed the problem with the pilot light by running it to the Neutral of the plug & I went & bought a 250watt heat bulb & I was using a modem spiral 60 watt & now not short detected when i power up .
                    New tubes but no sound at all ...Will take some readings & go over everything
                    Could you clarify what your saying above? Did you rewire the pilot to the neutral of the mains input? The pilot was in direct connection with the heaters.

nosaj

Comment

The pilot is not 6v it's 120v
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        The pilot is not 6v it's 120v
                        Just going by the ceriatone layout he said was his. Your schematic doesn't show i pilot light that I saw.

I think some pics of the chassis are in order for this.

Nosaj

Comment

Yes it's 120 volt light

Comment

Yes it's 120 volt light
                            Could you pull voltages on all tube sockets with only the rectifier installed and post them? Also are we still on a dim bulb tester or not?
                            Pics could still be helpful.
                            Thanks,
                            nosaj

Comment

You say 3v to ground from ech side of the heaters, but do you have 6v ACROSS each tube heater? Clearly some of those tubes are not running.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

OT transformer is an Hammond 1750 N
                                http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/EDB1750N.pdf
                                on the primary side the red & blue wires go the plates (pin 3) of the el34's
                                & the white which i think is the CT is connected & the choke goes to the .5a fuse thats connected to the filter cap
                                on the secondary side there is no impedance selector only 3 cliff jacks which I've removed to hopefully help solve the problem .
                                I've taped off the 4 & 8 ohm wire & trying to 16 ohm (violet) wire with my load (16 ohm speaker) connected to the tip of my speaker cable & the common (black ) wire connected to the sleeve of the jack & to ground .
                                I don't have a photo hosting program but I will try to get some photos .
                                I re-flowed the most of the solder joints & I do have the V1 heater working . 6.7 volts across all the heaters
                                Now V1
                                1 346
                                2 0
                                3 3.68v
                                6 287
                                7 .003v
                                8 2.62
                                & all voltages are taken through the dim bulb
                                Last edited by GroundskeeperWillie; 04-15-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X