No announcement yet.

help please with WEM Dominator project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please with WEM Dominator project?

Hi all, first post here!

I picked this up recently for a fair price - it's a WEM Dominator that about 20 years was rehoused into a rack unit for studio use, with a tube driven FX Loop and some kind of direct line out situation added.
    Whoever did the work obviously put a lot of time and effort into it and knows what they were doing.
    The amp doesn't work, apart from very low and crackly/distorted output.
    I've researched and had a go at fixing this - I know what I'm doing with pedal repairs and mods, but amps are something I'm yet to really get into.

The capacitor feeding the EL84's had exploded. It's a 22uf/63v. I've replaced it with two 10uf caps in parallel to give about 20uf.
    I took it to a tech friend of mine who said it could be a grounding issue, so I've reflowed all the joints under the circuit board and anywhere I can see star grounding.
    Still no joy.

I know that the old Mullards were wired up with the connection to pin 1 on the EL84's, and to make these amps work for newer EL84's, the connection needs to go to pin 2. That's already been done.

Any help or pointers would be really helpful. So far I've paid about $300 USD for this which included a decent rack unit, so if I can't get it working, I can take it to a tech.
    The goal is to have this put back into a WEM style headshell with a replica faceplate.
    I'm dead keen to get this thing alive again.

Any pointers or initial components to look at? Voltages I can measure?
    Any help very much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jesse in Melbourne, Australia.

Working...
X