Sovtek 5Y3GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek 5Y3GT?

I'm building a 5e3 style amp, and bought some Sovtek 5Y3GT rectifiers. ubuyguitars.com has them 2 for $9.99. Now I'm reading online that they are not the same as old 5y3's. Should I not use one in a new amp? Can I mod the circuit to compensate for the difference?

Thanks
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
    I'm building a 5e3 style amp, and bought some Sovtek 5Y3GT rectifiers. ubuyguitars.com has them 2 for $9.99. Now I'm reading online that they are not the same as old 5y3's. Should I not use one in a new amp? Can I mod the circuit to compensate for the difference?

Thanks
    When you build it put only the 5y3 in and check voltages to see where it's at.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Rumour has it they were simply "not-quite-GZ34s." Probably not a problem if you're using JJ 6V6s. But if it's for a new build, yeah, check what it puts out, then mod to your heart's content - at that price, dayum.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Thanks guys. They still have 282 of them in stock, still 2 for $9.99 too. I guess I'll build then check voltages, then come back here for more advice.

Comment

This is the same guy that I got those cheap VHT 18 watt amps from with the Australia PTs for cheap. Both the 18 watt and the 36 watt chassis use that tube and sound/work fine. He's 10 minutes from my house.

Comment

And never forget this: these are only guitar amps, not precision lab gear. CLose is good enough.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just because no one directly mentioned it, the voltage is usually higher with the Sovtek than with 'proper' 5Y3s.
              If any of your caps or tubes are running close to the rated max. voltage limits, you would not want to use this as a replacement.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks everyone. I know "close is good enough" I also know that higher voltages from my local power company is the norm nowadays.
                I got these 5y3 tubes, a chassis (aluminum $13) and a PT (Chinese $5) He had hand wired 5e3 circuit boards (probably Chinese) I think they were $20. I procrastinated and missed out on that one.

Comment

Working...
                X