Cam Auto Traverse Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Auto Traverse Questions

Having built a fishing reel traverse and taken the design as far as it'll go (in my very humble opinion), I am looking to simplify and try a cam traverse.

I've never owned Jason's book and have only seen a picture of his winder online once, but I am assuming this works the same as most of the old industrial winders, in that a motors is turning a cam which in turn is pushing a spring relieved push-rod. This push rod is the traverse.

Is this the gist of it? Am I missing any major parts of this design before I start having cams machined?

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
    I am assuming this works the same as most of the old industrial winders, in that a motors is turning a cam which in turn is pushing a spring relieved push-rod. This push rod is the traverse.

Is this the gist of it? Am I missing any major parts of this design before I start having cams machined?
    That's definitely the gist of it. If you want to target a spectic tpl, you will need to be able to sync the speeds of the two motors to achieve it.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
      That's definitely the gist of it. If you want to target a spectic tpl, you will need to be able to sync the speeds of the two motors to achieve it.
      Syncing is the easy part. Is there some other aspect of "syncing" not related to desired TPL?

The machine's I know about have the cam driven by the motor that turns the bobbin. Is there some relationship between the two that's not occurring to me that causes the lay down of the wire to be smooth as opposed to bunch up and uneven?

It doesn't seem like there should be in my mind, but better to ask now.

Comment

Syncing is the easy part. Is there some other aspect of "syncing" not related to desired TPL?

The machine's I know about have the cam driven by the motor that turns the bobbin. Is there some relationship between the two that's not occurring to me that causes the lay down of the wire to be smooth as opposed to bunch up and uneven?

It doesn't seem like there should be in my mind, but better to ask now.
        Can't speak to vintage industrial style CAM based winders, but I own a copy of the Lollar book and have built a Lollar style CAM based winder (modified to allow for any desired tpl for a given rotary winding speed). In my opinion, syncing is the hard part. WRT traverse speed relative to wind speed, a wind of 100 tpl would traverse half as fast as a wind of wind of 50 tpl (relative to the rotary winding speed). While I have never seen or used one, my guess is that the vintage industrial winders use a collection of gears to produce a desired tpl for a CAM given a specific rotational winding speed. Not the case with the Lollar style winder (where one motor is used for the rotary aspect and a fan. What they have in common is different CAM's for different tpl's and wind "shape".
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Can't speak to vintage industrial style CAM based winders, but I own a copy of the Lollar book and have built a Lollar style CAM based winder (modified to allow for any desired tpl for a given rotary winding speed). In my opinion, syncing is the hard part. WRT traverse speed relative to wind speed, a wind of 100 tpl would traverse half as fast as a wind of wind of 50 tpl (relative to the rotary winding speed). While I have never seen or used one, my guess is that the vintage industrial winders use a collection of gears to produce a desired tpl for a CAM given a specific rotational winding speed. Not the case with the Lollar style winder (where one motor is used for the rotary aspect and a fan. What they have in common is different CAM's for different tpl's and wind "shape".
          Mind sharing your modification?

Yes, the vintage winders used gears in that manner.

My winder uses speed controls on both the winder and the traverse, and both have an rpm meter, so syncing is easier.

And my hope is to copy cams from a geo stevens winder as, at least, a starting point.

Comment

Mind sharing your modification?

Yes, the vintage winders used gears in that manner.

My winder uses speed controls on both the winder and the traverse, and both have an rpm meter, so syncing is easier.

And my hope is to copy cams from a geo stevens winder as, at least, a starting point.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Winder_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	845323

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3kVukDVYcA

This was a shot from before I realized the physics of a heart shaped CAM.
            Last edited by kayakerca; 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM.
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43263[/ATTACH]

http://www.jdguitarworks.com/images/CAM Winder.MOV

This was a shot from before I realized the physics of a heart shaped CAM.
              Which is to say, before you started using the heart shaped cam?

THANK YOU for the pic. This is enough to explain most of it. But what are you mods?

Comment

Which is to say, before you started using the heart shaped cam?

THANK YOU for the pic. This is enough to explain most of it. But what are you mods?
                Yes, before I started using heart shaped CAMs.

Mods. . .

1) changed the motor driving the fan oscillator to another sewing machine motor that could be controlled by a rheostat (original fan oscillator motor not controllable via rheostat) .

2) added a tachometer (and related sensors) to measure the rpm of the motors.

3) added a switch for the tach so I could switch between which motor was being monitored.

4) added a two control rheostat to set the speed on both motors to desired rpm shown on tack for each motor (one for oscillator motor; one for winder motor)

5) build a little spread sheet to determine how many rpm on the traverse motor was required to produce a desired tpl for a specified winding speed (rpm).

6) added a counter, but everybody does this.

Hope that helps a bit.
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
                X