No announcement yet.

In over my head repairing 1964 Princeton Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the pics! That's a groovy old amp. To my knowledge, I've never seen a Magnavox speaker in a Fender product. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't so. Also, it looks cobbled in there with wire nuts and questionable mounting. I wouldn't worry about the "vintageness" of that speaker. Despite the amp being working, it wouldn't hurt to have a competent tech give it a good once over. As mentioned, it should have a grounded cord installed and the death cap removed. Probably needs pots/switches cleaned and other typical maintenance. All things aside, you were awful lucky to have that given to you! I wish I had friends who would drop off a free Princeton every now and again.
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-11-2017, 12:32 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the info! That's good to know, and I'll definitely try to have a tech check it out and do some cleanup. Cheers!

Comment

I should add, I didn't mean to say that the speaker isn't "worthy". It might be a great sounding speaker. If it is in decent shape (aside from the small hole), there's no reason you can't fix it and use it. You may, however, want to make sure it's the proper impedance.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by MSh View Post
          I was recently given an amp which I think is a princeton reverb from the mid 60's (I think 64)...
          Wow! Can you introduce us to the person who would give you such an amp?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I should add, I didn't mean to say that the speaker isn't "worthy". It might be a great sounding speaker. If it is in decent shape (aside from the small hole), there's no reason you can't fix it and use it. You may, however, want to make sure it's the proper impedance.
            The tube chart date code sez it's a 1965. The grill cloth has been removed and badly repositioned, probably when the speaker was replaced. I hope that the internal parts have been treated better than the speaker.

In any case, it could be a valuable amp and should be treated with respect, much like the person that gave it to you. Not many people give away $1000 amps.

Comment

What they said ^^^

The Magnavox isn't original. Some of their old speakers do sound very good for guitar though, if not very efficient. Fix the hole and use it. Not only is the grill cloth pulling loose in areas, something looks off about the color. It may not be original either. If it IS (a Fender expert would know better) it's in good shape and should be put back on properly. The reverb bag looks to be a bigger than stock sheet of vinyl rolled around the reverb tank. So the tank may not be original either. NBD there since the old tanks are almost all microphonic now anyway and replacements are cheap. A lot of evidence of poor storage you can see in rust on the trim and even the chassis. I recently worked on a late 70's Fender in similar condition and there was nothing wrong with the board, pots, jacks or components. I hope your Princeton is the same. If you don't worry about the cosmetics for now and just want to play it I'm hopeful that a good tech could have you up and running safely without too much trouble. It might be worth noting that the 1965 Princeton Reverb was one model Fender decided to "re issue". VERY nice score. Enjoy it
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X