WANNA CRY !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANNA CRY !

Has anyone been hit by the wanna cry ransomware?
    The wanna crypt 2.0 has been going around rampant lately, and has hit 150 countries.
    If you are behind on your windows updates, they advise to patch up now!
    Protect Against WannaCry: Microsoft Issues Patch for Unsupported Windows (XP, Vista, 8,...)

GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I WANNA LAUGH ! sitting here running Linux.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Even though I run Linux, I updated my ClamTK AV dat files?
      Then I scanned all my Home files on all my laptops.
      They all looked clean.

T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

More malware info on Hacker News.
        The Hacker News ? Cyber Security, Hacking News
        What is Malware? (Read Articles)
        T
        Terry

Comment

It looks to me as if it is a Beta test for the malware software(s). Perhaps to unleash it all into the wild to see what happens and see how well other malware software (other NSA types) do to protect from a threat. It seems a good way to get people to realize that running XP on a network is just not a good idea. Also, sure seems like a good way to hit the pirated Microsoft software out there running amok. This is only a test I repeat. However, the next wave might be even worse or it could show responsive actions to the threat. Nobody is going to claim those bitcoin funds that accumulated and they were never planning to from the start. Perhaps they will try to tie this whole thing on N. Korea?
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

WannaCry may be from Southern China!
            Linguistic Analysis Suggests WannaCry Hackers Could be From Southern China
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
              I WANNA LAUGH ! sitting here running Linux.
              Think you're safe running linux? 7-Year-Old Samba Flaw Lets Hackers Access Thousands of Linux PCs Remotely
              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                The good news,?
                if you do regular updates?
                It's already fixed!
                T
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  The good news,?
                  if you do regular updates?
                  It's already fixed!
                  T
                  The same applies to windows - keeping it up to date is crucial. WannaCry exploited a vulnerability in Win XP, an OS that is no longer supported. The fact is, if it runs code, it can be hacked, regardless of OS.
                  Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

The same applies to windows - keeping it up to date is crucial. WannaCry exploited a vulnerability in Win XP, an OS that is no longer supported. The fact is, if it runs code, it can be hacked, regardless of OS.
                    I agree whole heartedly.
                    Updates for Ubuntu are usually fast and painless.
                    Updates for Windows always seemed more like pulling teeth.
                    When I ran XP for several years, I never had a completely updated version.
                    The main thing is to be aware of the vulnerabilities.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

WannaCry exploited a vulnerability in Win XP, an OS that is no longer supported.
                      Nuh-unh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaC...somware_attack
                      A Kaspersky Labs study reported that less than 0.1 percent of the affected computers were running Windows XP, and that 98 percent of the affected computers were running Windows 7.[19] Further analysis and testing performed by the cybersecurity firm Kryptos Logic found that when attempting to infect Windows XP systems with WannaCry via the EternalBlue and DoublePulsar exploits, the payload failed to execute, or caused the operating system to crash rather than actually execute and encrypt files. However, when executed manually, WannaCry could still operate on Windows XP.[61][62]

-rb
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                        Nuh-unh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaC...somware_attack
                        A Kaspersky Labs study reported that less than 0.1 percent of the affected computers were running Windows XP, and that 98 percent of the affected computers were running Windows 7.[19] Further analysis and testing performed by the cybersecurity firm Kryptos Logic found that when attempting to infect Windows XP systems with WannaCry via the EternalBlue and DoublePulsar exploits, the payload failed to execute, or caused the operating system to crash rather than actually execute and encrypt files. However, when executed manually, WannaCry could still operate on Windows XP.[61][62]

-rb
                        To be honest I've never really trusted Russian antivirus just I like I don't trust cheap Chinese network appliances on my networks.
                        No real data on the antivirus( just a gut feeling) plenty of data on chinese devices phoning home.
                        nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          To be honest I've never really trusted Russian antivirus
                          Same here, I think it's a hoot Kaspersky makes such an effort to gather USA customers. As if I'm going to trust my internet security to some Russian outfit.... riiiiight!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

And, in case you haven't heard:

Russia charges FSB spies and Kaspersky Labs exec with treason, working for US intelligence, denies CIA, hacking link - CBS News
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                              To be honest I've never really trusted Russian antivirus
                              Me neither.
                              I'd never use Kaspersky AV.
                              But what would be the benefit of lying about the percentage of Win XP systems that got hit by WannaCry?

-rb
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X