Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer xenyx2442fx, accidentally pulled cables out of plug from PSU to main board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer xenyx2442fx, accidentally pulled cables out of plug from PSU to main board

I had something rattling around inside my mixer, undid a corner and an internal fuse rolled out, which rather worried me. It's been a while since I last used it and I was concerned this would stop it working, so I opened it up, and rather stupidly I didn't see that a cable was being stretched.

Basically there's a 6 wire connection between the PSU and the main board, and all of the cables pulled out of the socket attached to the main board. They slot back in fairly easily, so it's a simple fix, but I don't know for sure the order they should be in! It looks like they just go in parallel, in the same order as the connection on the PSU but I'm not certain that's correct. Is there any way of finding out?

I tried to read the schematics on one of those service manual sites, but it's rather beyond me I'm afraid. Oh, and the fuse was just from the lamp connector, which I never use anyway! My friend wants to borrow it for a gig in a couple of days, so hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mistafeesh; 05-16-2017, 07:07 PM.

Can't be of much use to you without a schematic and a connector number so we know what you're talking about. Sans that, often multi-pin connectors have a ground connection. Use your meter to see if each end has a ground pin. Then, match up ground to ground.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

If you mean the small 6-pin connector with a ribbon cable - or six wires all the same color - lay the thing on a table, the wires are all stright across one end to the other.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sorry about the delay replying. I was 800 miles away from my computer for a week! Thanks for the replies.
        This is how the cable looked after I'd put it back together.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170520_115531136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	845588
        The wires are all in a row. I did some googling around and came across this page where someone has fixed a xenyx 2222fx PSU, and it look as if the wires are either the other way round or the end two wires are swapped. If only their photo was a little further down!

This is where on the main board that it attaches.

Name:	IMG_20170520_115607013.jpg
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	845589

I have a multimeter, but I'm a total noob at this sort of stuff. I'm seriously regretting opening the damn thing up!

Comment

sch attached
          PSU is on page 14
          Connector is X84
          Pin 1 is +15VDC
          Pin 2 is -15VDC
          Pin 3 is 0V (A for Analogue section ?)
          Pin 4 is +48V
          Pin 5 is +5V
          Pin 6 is 0V (D for digital section ?)
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you! How do I know which end is pin 1? I'd found those files but understanding circuit diagrams of that complexity is rather beyond me I'm afraid! I've printed out that page and stared at it for quite some time...

Here is a picture of the PSU end of the cable. It has "6P" written at one end, and "X3" at the other.

Name:	IMG_20170529_163449356.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	845591

Here is the socket, which also has "6P" at one end, and "X84" at the other end.

Name:	IMG_20170529_163507119.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	845592

Does 6P go to 6P? If so, then my hope that they go in a straight line from the PSU to the main board is false!

EDIT - I've just seen that there are tiny, almost invisible numbers on the plug in question, with a 1 at one end and a 6 at the other, so I guess that answers my question of how to tell which is pin 1, right?

EDIT 2 - Except, on the schematic, it has "6P" written under pin 1, and 6P is on the mainboard at the pin 6 end. Aaagh! Unless I'm overthinking the 6P and it just means "put a 6 pin plug here..."
            Last edited by mistafeesh; 05-29-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

"6 P' indicates a 6 pin plug.

The connector number in the one picture is "X3".
              The other is "X84".

I don't understand the confusion.
              These things only go in one way.

Comment

Thanks, that confirms my thoughts. This is all new to me!
                The confusion is that I pulled the wires out of the back of the connector itself, which stayed attached to the main board, so I'm trying to work out which order to reinsert them. I'm getting there, I think!

Comment

mozwell, is that the pinout from the PSU or into the main board? Cheers

Comment

Find the 'Ground' pin on both board connectors.
                    From there, it's foolproof.

Comment

Working...
                    X