Does winding speed make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does winding speed make a difference?

Ok, all things being equal, wind pattern, tension, turns count, wire and bobbin, as in the same test bobbin for each wind. All those equal does the wind speed have an effect on tone?
    Brighter, darker etc....

I know when you speed up you need to speed your scatter to match, but like I said, all things equal is there a difference?

I am only asking because I am curious. I don't have the extra wire to waste doing a bunch of test winds. Someone the other day asked me this same question and to be honest, I am used to winding my way so I really couldnt give him an honest answer and it is bugging me and I feel kinda dumb actually not being able to give him the answer he wants.

If all things "Are Equal", how could there be a difference? I don't think there would be.

Comment

If "all else is equal"

The tone should be the same.

However, it is likely that a different winding speed will have an impact on one or more of the parameters, i.e. tension or scattering. You mentioned this yourself, the scattering pattern would have to be adjusted to compensate for the higher speed of winding.

What does everyone else think? Are we missing something?

Comment

that seems right, but the tension would be harder to gauge as there would be more friction coming from the spool as well as other things involved when there is more speed. so it doesnt change with speed in my oppinion, but its hard to keep things consistant with the varying speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
          Ok, all things being equal, wind pattern, tension, turns count, wire and bobbin, as in the same test bobbin for each wind. All those equal does the wind speed have an effect on tone?
          Brighter, darker etc....

I know when you speed up you need to speed your scatter to match, but like I said, all things equal is there a difference?

I am only asking because I am curious. I don't have the extra wire to waste doing a bunch of test winds. Someone the other day asked me this same question and to be honest, I am used to winding my way so I really couldnt give him an honest answer and it is bugging me and I feel kinda dumb actually not being able to give him the answer he wants.
          Don't feel dumb. If he's a potential customer you should remind him who it is that's making the pickups. He doesn't need to know the ins and outs of a dogs ass.
          If he's not a customer, he may be someone who's gonna get a couple of Stew Mac kits and then launch himself onto the unsuspecting public armed with the wisdom you've bestowed upon him.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
            Don't feel dumb. If he's a potential customer you should remind him who it is that's making the pickups. He doesn't need to know the ins and outs of a dogs ass.
            If he's not a customer, he may be someone who's gonna get a couple of Stew Mac kits and then launch himself onto the unsuspecting public armed with the wisdom you've bestowed upon him.
            Good Logic there Spence...... I just wondered about the whole thing myself. My friend actually brought it up and I was sorta dumbfounded. I did notice that the more speed I used the pickups did seem to get brighter, I'm guessing that the faster I went the more tension I ended up with.

Comment

fast....

winding real fast is real tricky, suddenly your tension has to be really accurate because if you're using the same tension at faster speeds then you'll start stretching the wire so you have to lower your tensioner. Too fast and you get unintentional wire scattering, jumping around back in forth. Slower is better if you're not in a hurry...
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I don't know if it would affect tone but winding faster blows my coils out in the middle, sorta whipping the wire I guess.

Comment

It absolutely effects tone....Where you been Ben? Guys like Possum are to old to go that fast anyway........Crank it up Brother!!

Comment

If the tension is too high, believe it or not, you'll bend the bobbin!

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                      If the tension is too high, believe it or not, you'll bend the bobbin!
                      Been there, done that too many times, I finally learned.....

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
                        Been there, done that too many times, I finally learned.....
                        And it doesn't take that much tension to do it either.

Comment

Working...
                        X