Fender Excelsior Parts Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Excelsior Parts Help!

Years ago I bought a Used Fender Excelsior for around $250. It has served faithfully in particular applications. The other day, however, it started blowing fuses. I opened it up and found what looks like a burnt component, but I'm having trouble identifying it.

Definitely a newbie to the amplifier repair game, but I've done some soldering on guitar electronics and effect pedals. From my untrained eye and amateur research via google, it looks like a diode or rectifier. It has the letters/numbers "GP02" and is situated next to two resistors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1592.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	871610
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1593.JPG
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	871611Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1593.JPG
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	871611
    Any idea what the part would be? Any advice as to whether/how I can fix it myself?

The schematic shows D3 to be an R3000 diode. It is configured as a 'flyback' diode for one of the power tubes. You will also need to repair the burnt area.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...-schematic.pdf
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You also need to make sure the speaker socket and any connecting wiring is good. Also that your speaker lead and connections are sound. The diode may have shorted on its own, or something may have caused it to short - it could have died in the act of saving your output transformer if your speaker became disconnected.

Comment

Working...
      X