The resistor will only get hot if there is too much current being pulled through it. The three things that could cause that are the filter cap, the solenoid and the circuit wiring. In another post you said that you already have replaced the cap, so that leaves the solenoid and the wiring. It should be fairly easy to inspect the wires and component leads. Make sure nothing is shorting to the chassis, etc.
Inspect the solenoid and see if it looks like it has been physically damaged in any way. Measure the resistance of the coil (power off) and check to see that the coil is not somehow shorted to the case ground.
Worst case, you will need to replace or rebuild the solenoid coil.