No announcement yet.

Minimum thickness for forbon flatwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum thickness for forbon flatwork?

Hi everybody,

After extensive research, I finally found a few sources for vulcanized fiber in Europe ! If it helps anyone, the stuff is used in knife making and the supply websites sell it much for cheaper than the specialized pickup parts sellers.

Anyway, one of those websites sells 4.7" x 9.5" sheets dirt cheap...The only thing is that those sheets are only 1mm thick (0.039"). Would that be thick enough, or would the flaring be unmanageable?

I've used 1mm thick flatwork for some custom P90 style pickups. It flares. I had to put them in a press till cold, after potting, to keep them straight. But P90 are long and with a lot of wire, maybe it works fine with smaller pickups.

Comment

I use a lot of .06" (1.5mm) and get some flaring when there's a significant distance from the last magnet to the edge of the flatwork (like on a P-bass pickup)

a lot will also depend on you wind count and winding tension

Comment

Cheers! I'm mostly making Jazzmaster pickups at the minute, and I assume they would be as bad as it gets flaring-wise. I have been using all sorts of flatwork materials in an attempt to rebel against Forbon supremacy and most of these were too rigid to flare, but I have to admit...Wood and other plastics are an absolute pain to work with.

The option that was suggested by a knife maker I went to see today was simply to glue two sheets together with CA glue and work it from there. Would there be any reasons for this not to work?

Comment

My first thought was to laminate it to desired thickness if you can't source desired thickness .
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
          X