X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin vintage 16 low output

I was given a Carvin Vintage 16 that someone did these mods to
    http://hasserl.com/yahoo_site_admin/....302194339.pdf
    It has low nasty output. While going over the document and touching up cold joints. I noticed on V5 it looks like pin2 and 3 were tied together. I don't see it on the schematic or on any other EL84 amps. V4 is not that way. Any legitimate reason for this? I think it is wrong and should be removed.

schematicVintage_16.pdf

Thanks,
    Nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

If grid is connected to cathode, then yes, that would be a problem.
    You don't mean pins 3 & 4? That could be done for a few reasons.
    Not sure what you mean about mods, are they shown on that schematic or referenced elsewhere?

Edit: never mind about the mods, I missed the first link in your post.
    Last edited by g1; 06-18-2017, 05:29 PM.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      If grid is connected to cathode, then yes, that would be a problem.
      You don't mean pins 3 & 4? That could be done for a few reasons.
      Not sure what you mean about mods, are they shown on that schematic or referenced elsewhere?
      I've got 2 docs in first post. One is mods that have been done. The other is the official schematic. Neither of which is shown anywhere.

I've included a shot of it.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170618_125737.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	705.3 KB
ID:	845693

Comment

Basing diagram is bottom view, so that would be 7 & 8?
        If you had grid grounded (2 to 3) you would lose bias and redplate.
        7 is plate, I don't know why anyone would tie it to anything. 8 is supposed to be internal connection so it should not be used.
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Basing diagram is bottom view, so that would be 7 & 8?
          If you had grid grounded (2 to 3) you would lose bias and redplate.
          7 is plate, I don't know why anyone would tie it to anything. 8 is supposed to be internal connection so it should not be used.
          So either way it's wrong.

nosaj

Comment

Yes I would think so. But much less damaging this way.

Comment

Yes I would think so. But much less damaging this way.
              Here's the schematic with modsHasse_V16_mod_schem.pdf

It crackles a lot which disappears when tube is removed. (tube is V3 phase invertor With tube removed I can inject signal at the plates and it's clean.)

I reflowed the solder on all suspect joints and the header connector. Still crackles. makes me think resistors since the plate resistors are good because of audio injection that would leave the cathodes.
              Am I headed in the right direction or am I lost and don't know it yet?

Thanks so much

nosaj

Comment

Why stop with V3? Pulling that suggests the problem is before it, so put it back and pull V2, any affect? If so, pull V1, same question. Oh, I don't see a V2, is that a reverb or something?
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Why stop with V3? Pulling that suggests the problem is before it, so put it back and pull V2, any affect? If so, pull V1, same question. Oh, I don't see a V2, is that a reverb or something?
                  Yes V2 is a reverb. I can pull v1 still get static crackling, can pull V2 and still get static crackling. Pull V3 disappears.

nosaj

Comment

Does volume or treble pot affect it?

Comment

Does volume or treble pot affect it?
                      Volume does Treble does not.

nosaj

Pull V2 noise still there. grounding grids on V1 no effect. My thinking is issue is somewhere before V3. Resistors are most likely for crackly scratch noises?

No DC on output.
                      V1 pin1 177vdc pin3 .809 pin4 1.88 pin6 159 pin8 .01
                      v2 pin1 124.8 pin3 .471 pin6 170 pin7 -.03 pin8 .272
                      v3 pin1 210 pin2 30.7 pin3 47.49 pin5 208 pin6 32 pin7 45
                      v4 pin1 -10.36 pin2 -10.36 pin7 278 pin8 .02 pin9 277.1
                      V5 pin1 -10.36 pin2 -10.36 pin7 279.2 pin9 276

OT red 281
                      brown v5 279
                      Blue V4 279.

I'll check the resistors before the PI. And DC on the Volume pot.

Thanks,
                      nosaj
                      Last edited by nosaj; 06-18-2017, 11:59 PM.

Comment

If the volume control can kill it, it must be before that. (correct me if volume doesn't completely kill it)
                        Pulling V1 doesn't get rid of it, so it must be after that. Which leaves C7, C34, less likely but possibly the volume pot, R4, C33, R41 (and associated connections).
                        And to completely rule out the reverb tube, you can try grounding C18 (at R8 end).

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          Volume does Treble does not.

nosaj

Pull V2 noise still there. grounding grids on V1 no effect. My thinking is issue is somewhere before V3. Resistors are most likely for crackly scratch noises?

No DC on output.
                          V1 pin1 177vdc pin3 .809 pin4 1.88 pin6 159 pin8 .01
                          v2 pin1 124.8 pin3 .471 pin6 170 pin7 -.03 pin8 .272
                          v3 pin1 210 pin2 30.7 pin3 47.49 pin5 208 pin6 32 pin7 45
                          v4 pin1 -10.36 pin2 -10.36 pin7 278 pin8 .02 pin9 277.1
                          V5 pin1 -10.36 pin2 -10.36 pin7 279.2 pin9 276

OT red 281
                          brown v5 279
                          Blue V4 279.

I'll check the resistors before the PI. And DC on the Volume pot.

Thanks,
                          nosaj
                          grounding C18 (at R8 end) kills all noise.
                          There is DC on the vol pot. one of the new caps is leaking .5 dc onto the pot. I'll replace it and report back.

Thanks,
                          nosaj

Comment

Sorry I missed the boat on that, I was going by the stock schematic and didn't realize how extensive the mods were or that even the names of the controls were changed.
                            What were you referring to as the volume control, the PPIMV ?

Comment

Sorry I missed the boat on that, I was going by the stock schematic and didn't realize how extensive the mods were or that even the names of the controls were changed.
                              What were you referring to as the volume control, the PPIMV ?
                              Yes one of the 4 caps on it is leaking half a volt.

jason

Comment

Working...
                              X