No announcement yet.

Roctron Silver Dragon Stopped Working ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roctron Silver Dragon Stopped Working ?

Hi folks,
    Trying to troubleshoot this Roctron Silver Dragon. The owner says it just stopped working after he tightened one of the case screws that supposedly had a ground wire attached to it. He had it in pieces when he gave it to me ,and there is a black wire that looks like it broke off of something , but I can't see where. Maybe it WAS connected to the case.
    I can only find a schematic ,and not much else available on these. He didn't have the proper power supply as he was using a laptop 12v supply.
    I rigged a PS ,and powered it up grounding the black to the case. Switch still doesn't work. The Slayer side just seems to play though with the switch in either position ,and the Awake side plays through on one position ,and no sound when LED is lit.
    There is another LED used in the circuit (LED3) that I tested with the diode function of my meter ,and it was lighting ,then it stopped. Can a regular diode be used to replace this ?

Thanks all !
    Attached Files

Originally posted by gtrplayr1976 View Post

he was using a laptop 12v supply.
    I rigged a PS ,and powered it up grounding the black to the case.

Thanks all !
    According to the schematic, the power supply requires 12VAC; not 12vdc. Most laptop power supplies are 12vdc. What is your power supply providing... AC or DC?

Comment

Originally posted by cjlectronics View Post
      According to the schematic, the power supply requires 12VAC; not 12vdc. Most laptop power supplies are 12vdc. What is your power supply providing... AC or DC?
      Well....I feel like an idiot. lol...Can't believe I missed that. I assumed it was like other switches that use dc. Thank you !

Comment

I only know to ask this because I have done the same thing... don't feel bad. We are human and easily overlook the simple things. Hopefully, that'll fix it.

Comment

Always check the power adaptor for type as well as for function. I always tell the customer to bring along his power adaptor, that way I know whether his trouble has anything to do with the adaptor. We may find when he put his unit back together he just plugged the wrong adaptor into it. But at least now you can determine if there are any other issues.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Had a guy bring me a Casio keyboard.
            Will not power up.

Where is the power pack?
            Oh, I did not think you needed that.

Guess what was bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Always check the power adaptor for type as well as for function. I always tell the customer to bring along his power adaptor, that way I know whether his trouble has anything to do with the adaptor. We may find when he put his unit back together he just plugged the wrong adaptor into it. But at least now you can determine if there are any other issues.
              I absolutely should have noticed it on the schematic. Just overlooked it. The owner doesn't have the original power supply ,and someone told him he could use a laptop PS ,which I'm guessing he tried. All I really have to use is a variac.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Had a guy bring me a Casio keyboard.
                Will not power up.

Where is the power pack?
                Oh, I did not think you needed that.

Guess what was bad?
                LOL....uh. This guy doesn't have the PS. Someone told him to use a 12v laptop PS.

Comment

Originally posted by cjlectronics View Post
                  I only know to ask this because I have done the same thing... don't feel bad. We are human and easily overlook the simple things. Hopefully, that'll fix it.

LOL..not the first time I've missed something simple. Have to hook up the variac. It's the only thing I have that puts out AC.

Comment

Just had that conversation with a customer last month. I got in a Korg keyboard blown to smithereens. The customer didn't bring in the power supply so I called to ask if he was using the right one or could bring it in. He said, "Well, it fits in the jack, so it must be the right one". It wasn't.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      He said, "Well, it fits in the jack, so it must be the right one".
                      Hahahahahaha! Like the time I swapped the 6V6 & 5Y3 in my Champ...

Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        Just had that conversation with a customer last month. I got in a Korg keyboard blown to smithereens. The customer didn't bring in the power supply so I called to ask if he was using the right one or could bring it in. He said, "Well, it fits in the jack, so it must be the right one". It wasn't.
                        LOL...of course

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                          Hahahahahaha! Like the time I swapped the 6V6 & 5Y3 in my Champ...

Justin
                          So, you had to rewire the sockets to make it work?
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'll just say I was really happy to have that 11-second warmup time...
                            My buddy who didn't realise his 100W Peavey's 6L6s had busted base guide pins wasn't so lucky... he pulls the tubes, puts them back in, and I get a phone call: "hey, I turned my amp on & the tubes lit up like a 100W light bulb?"

One of my favorite things about working with tubes is the abuse and ignorance they'll survive...

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

On the other hand, output transistors are rarely plucked from their sockets and put back in backwards.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X