No announcement yet.

Free Way Ultra Switch - Help needed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Way Ultra Switch - Help needed!!!

Hi everyone,

I've embarked on a project recently to have a 2 single coil and 2 pot (volume and tone) wired through this Free Way Ultra Switch.

Well, looks like I bit more than I can chew and I can't understand the switch and how to connect everything up so... I need some help on this.

This is how I'd like to have the switch wired up:

Position 1: Neck
    Position 2: Series in Phase
    Position 3: Bridge
    Position 4: Parallel
    Position 5: Off
    Position 6: Series out of Phase

Would anyone be able to draw me a quick diagram on how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Have you seen the PDF file of diagrams at the link below:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-00...radiagrams.pdf

Barry
    Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by bnwitt View Post
      Have you seen the PDF file of diagrams at the link below:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-00...radiagrams.pdf

Barry
      Hi Barry,

I've gone through all the schematics I got from www.freewayswitch.com but unfortunately none of them is for a 2 single coil 2 pot connection with the functions I'm hoping to get. Sure, for the right person, I'm sure the info is there if you have the knowledge but my knowledge of electronics is extremely limited.

Thanks for your input.

Jack

Comment

Jack,
        Have you tried sending them an email?
        Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

28 terminals and a 6-way switch! $50! Too much for me!

Its reportedly built in England so at least there's only a minor language barrier... definitely email them, they owe you.

IMHO if you make a DIY product with a couple hundred permutations you should fully document all of them...

Comment

Well, just an update... I did email them and got a swift reply saying that he'd be willing to get me a diagram for the connections I needed so... That was good advise Barry!

tedmich, to be fair, they do have loads of different diagrams available on their website... just not what this electronically challenged guitarist needed hahah.

Thanks both for your inputs.

Jack

Comment

Have you looked into a generic 4 pole 6 position rotary switch? If you can find one that fits your guitar you could get most of the linkages you want. For out of phase linkages I'd suggest using a DPDT p-p pot for one of the volume and tone controls.

You might also look into the 5 way PRS style rotary switch.

Steve A.

P.S. Before soldering up custom wiring harnesses I suggest that you first use test clips to audition the various linkages to make sure that you find them usable.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                Have you looked into a generic 4 pole 6 position rotary switch? If you can find one that fits your guitar you could get most of the linkages you want. For out of phase linkages I'd suggest using a DPDT p-p pot for one of the volume and tone controls.

You might also look into the 5 way PRS style rotary switch.

Steve A.

P.S. Before soldering up custom wiring harnesses I suggest that you first use test clips to audition the various linkages to make sure that you find them usable.

Thanks for the input Steve... Good call on those test clips.

I'm sorted with a diagram now thanks to the guys at Free Way Switch... specially Alasdair. Can only say good things about their personalised service... Fantastic.

Cheers
                Jack

Comment

For what you need?
                  Looks like a standard 3 way toggle switch, and a push-pull reverse polarity switch would be a simpler approach.
                  Possibly use the more expensive 6 way toggle for a two humbucker project.
                  GL,
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X