How do I pretty up this ugly corner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I pretty up this ugly corner?

This corner was loose when I got the amp. I removed the two nails (!) that were driven into the cabinet and installed long screws. I also used lots glue. The corner is structurally strong but ugly. I really don't want to retolex the whole cabinet. How do I pretty this corner up? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5441.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	658.8 KB
ID:	871675

I would just use several strips of black Gorilla tape....

Comment

You might also try a couple strips of tolex just to go along the corner. Do one there and one on the opposite side to make them match up. Maybe a 2" wide strip...

Comment

What glue do I use for the tolex? What wood filler do I used to fill and smooth out the corner? Thanks.

Comment

Bondo works great. If you want it to look new you are going to have to complete disassemble it down to the box and re-Tolex the whole thing. Probably $30 and half a day's work. There's a lot ic videos on YouTube on how and most parts suppliers have a large selection of Tolex.

Comment

What olddawg said.
            If you are lazy and want to do a "just acceptable" job, , see that those fender cabinets do noy use a long strip to do the full around with a single joint in the bottom like most but use 4 pieces, 2 side ones, 2 top nd bottom, and side edges slide under the top one.

So the cheapest nastiest way is to remove the damaged edge.cut it clean, say, 2 inches below the top, and retolex kust it: top edge hidden under top edge piece and side edge straight cut with a sharp X Acto kinife and butt jointed to the old side Tolex.
            Quite invisible if well done and to boot on a side ... nobody will notice it.
            Only problem is that new Tolex will be clean while oldone will be dirst encrusted, no matter how much you clean it, but you can remove al hrdware and wipe cabinet ll around with a black paste sold at Service Stations to "revive black" on tires and car rubber mats.
            Not sticky greasy shiny silicone but a paste made out of ground white clothes washing soap bars mixed with some carbon black.
            Fills scratches, covers dirt, once you apply it with a sponge, let it dry and later wipe it with an old but dry rag, you will not notice any difference between old and new (thatīs what itīs sold for)
            I have been able to sell old worn stuff as new using it.

As of wood filler, Bondo is very good general purpose type, but well stocked paintshops or carpenterīs suppliers sell "wood filler" which is basically wood dust mixed wth an adhesive, once it dries and you sand it, itīs hard to notice it, unlike grey Bondo.

Not a problem here because Tolex covers it, but I mention it for future use where filling might stay visible.

But of course the real deal is fully retolexing it, and it wonītake much more time or money.

And by definition, Tolex colour and grain will match with itself
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

system bug duplicated post .
              Last edited by J M Fahey; 09-25-2017, 05:13 AM.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

IMO it would be easier to strip and redo the whole cab than to try to repair just one place. For the wood repair get some Dap Plastic Wood or any other brand of Plastic Wood. Works great. Will probably have to do several layers. There are a lot of tutorials on how to tolex on the web if you have never done it before. This one is pretty good How to Apply Tolex to a Guitar Amplifier Cabinet - GuitarKitBuilder

Comment

Working...
                X