• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise on Twin Reverb

Hi, i'm new around here.
    Recently my twin reverb starts to produce this noise:

https://soundcloud.com/brauliopanseco/tube-noise

i asumed that there was just a bad power tube and i replaced the four of them but the noise continues...
    since it happens at hig volume and specially with low frecuency may I asume that could be something loose inside?
    Have you heard a noise like this before? that sounds like a broken speaker but with somekind of electrical distortion?
    thanks!

It may have different origins, but check the connections in the filter capacitors.

Comment

What about a preamp tube? Especially #1,2,6?
      Is it in both channels, or only one? Do any of the controls change it?
      Since it seems to be related to low frequencies, ball up your fist and give the top a firm whack - does that make any noise? (the "Enzo Whack") Turn the Reverb off for that test, of course...

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Thanks a lot both of you for the quick answering, Pedro this weekend i'll open it up and check the caps.
        Justin, what and how should i check about the preamp tubes? one of the pres has been modded (don't know, i've get it second hand already modded) maybe it could be that...

Comment

To check your preamp tubes, first try wiggling them around some. Any noise? Try tapping them with a pencil eraser or (if you're adventurous) your finger). Any noise? If you can isolate it to one channel, the tube farthest on the right is for the Normal channel, amd the second one is the Vibrato channel. Sub in a new tube into either or both of those spots. Does it still make the noise? The next three are for the Reverb and Tremolo; one half of one of either V4 or V5 is a third gain stage for the Vibrato channel. It could be that one, too. The last tube is the Phase Inverter, and I've had noisy tubes here make some odd noises.

But basically, if replacing one of the tubes fixes it, it is either a bad tube or something before it. It's okay to pull tubes and have the amp on - just be aware that of you pull V6,V5 (I think),V2, or V1, you won't get any sound out of one or both channels.

What model Twin Reverb is it - Blackface, Silverface, Reissue?

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

First of all thanks for the answers and sorry for not posting the results. It took me a while to find the time to open it. It was as Pedro says one of the conecctor to filter capacitors, it was a little bit loose. I tightened it and keep working fine. There has been that way during months but a couple weeks ago it started to make the same noise again. I opened again double checked all the conectors and seems to be fine. I mounted and tested again but now once the noise starts it keeps making even if i lowered down the volume.
            I touched every tube, every component while running but the noise only seems to be produced at big volume.
            Any clues?
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X