No announcement yet.

Original Sunn Power Cord Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one I have has " P. E. CO 18/2 SJT 300V" and it has an identical connector to your picture.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

you guys are really somethin

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
        you guys are really somethin
        I'm not sure you mean that as a complement?...... 4 posts to describe a simple power cord?

Edit: n2000s, If you want it, PM me. I'll happily send it to you.

Comment

I think we have a match !!!
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Well, when I started reading this thread I really thought there was no way this guy was walking away from it with an original 2 prong "sunn" power cord. with combined knowledge and some junk laying around you got it. and not even just down to the look, but even down to the correct type on the cord. I believe LT too because he always seems extremely knowledgable on sunn gear. I'm pretty impressed

Comment

I applied for a job there summer of 69 but they didn't have an opening. I had just graduated from high school.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Here's a pic I just snapped of the one I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	845868

Comment

Agreed! That looks right from what I remember. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Sunn amps have managed to avoid the steep appreciation of a few other brands from that era, quite luckily for prospective collectors.

Bravo to anyone who helps vintage equipment live on, love is truly in the eyes of the beholder.
                    Last edited by tedmich; 07-13-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Sunn amps were respected and substantial players back in that era.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So with an amp as a museum piece does that mean it is never turned on and played ever again? I would assume that would be the case but not sure so that is why I ask.
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Really don't know but I'd like to think they get played occasionally. It would certainly be healthy for the amps/caps to be powered up every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by n2000s View Post
                            Really don't know but I'd like to think they get played occasionally. It would certainly be healthy for the amps/caps to be powered up every so often.
                            And yet that's where we end up with the quandary of "safe to use..." Would your average museum worker be passionate enough to know what to do if the museum-quality amp shocks someone or a small child? Would they know enough to try to flip the plug in an effort to reduce hum? Would they know the best practices to implement if someone gets to play said museum-piece? Do they know rubber-soled shoes, dry air, no concrete, no mics, etc.?

Are they willing to take the potential liability for electrocution?

And this is why I personally think that even perfectly mint and completely original amps need to have 3-wore cords installed. My desire to play and to have others play these cultural icons SAFELY overrides any "collector status" they may carry. And I feel the same way about capacitors, and other routine parts.

We add stuff to museum displays all the time - picture frames, the wires and plaster bits to the dinosaur skeletons... those are two that that come to mind easily. Nobody complains about that... if they're going to sit in a museum, even then they SHOULD be used, more than occasionally. These things are an interactive experience - they are practically meaningless if you never plug in and see what they can do. Those who have never had any interest in playing guitar don't look at these as anything particularly special, until someone plugs in, turns up, and rocks out! Then even the uninitiated and ignorant (in the truest sense of the word) will have that moment of comprehension - oh, THAT'S what that funny-looking stereo system is supposed to do!

All of that said, I do wholeheartedly support an individual owner's right to keep his amps totally original, so long as they themselves or anyone who uses their amps are willing to accept the risks. Personally, I would try it out. I would <NOT> unleash it on the masses without conversion. My post only is speaking in terms of literal "museum pieces."

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                            X