Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Sunn Power Cord Needed

Hi guy's.

I'm looking for an original Sunn 2-prong powercord in excellent condition for a restoration project.

Any chance anyone has one they could sell?

Thanks!!!

I just have to ask why you would need an original Sunn 2-prong power cord? I really don't think restoring that brand of amp that anyone is going to care really if it has an authentic power cord or not. Also, why not update the power cord and amp to have a 3-prong type installed?
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Thanks for the response.

The amp currently has a grounded plug. This is the rare exception where a 3-prong is not necessary. The amp is for a museum collection where it needs to be all original.

Comment

Hmmmm, Do you know what the original looks like?

I have years worth of 2 prongs I have removed from amps. I bet some are from that era of Sunn, but not really sure which one came from which amp

Comment

I have some new old stock two wire power cords, they are very nice cords with rubber jacket, but are not Sunn brand.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
            Hmmmm, Do you know what the original looks like?

I have years worth of 2 prongs I have removed from amps. I bet some are from that era of Sunn, but not really sure which one came from which amp

Thanks. I have been looking for any old photos of mine with the hope of finding one with original cord but no luck. Does anyone have a close up photo of the two prong cords from 67-70?

Comment

If you can find a picture, I have a box of power cords that I've chopped off of amps to install grounded cords. If I've got the right one, I'd be happy to send it to you.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                I have some new old stock two wire power cords, they are very nice cords with rubber jacket, but are not Sunn brand.
                Do you know when and who they were made for? Might be an option but would really like to find an original. I'm surprised I can't find the one I had here from that amp. Generally that is not something I would have misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  If you can find a picture, I have a box of power cords that I've chopped off of amps to install grounded cords. If I've got the right one, I'd be happy to send it to you.
                  Wish I had a close up photo of one. Still combing my old photos in case I happened to take a detailed shot of one...

Comment

Do you know when and who they were made for?
                    Not made for some brand of amp, I think they were Beldens, but not sure. That is not the sort of thing a technician worries about, we leave that for the amp fans.

They would LOOK totally in place and reasonable on the amp. Would the molded plug have the exact shape of the original? Probably not.

Images are a lot easier to find if we know the model name/number.

Generally when I replaced a two-wire cord on an amp, I discarded it. I had no need for it, and they were usually pretty beat anyway.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by n2000s View Post
                      Wish I had a close up photo of one. Still combing my old photos in case I happened to take a detailed shot of one...
                      Even a shot of the receptacle on the amp would help.
                      nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

They certainly won't be sunn brand AC cords, they would have used what is commonly available at the time. So a picture will be about the only thing you have to go on.
                        But put it this way, if it's this tough to figure out which is the correct type, no one will never know if you have the incorrect brand 2 prong cord on there either.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This amp might not be original. The line cord is 10 feet long. The PT is from one of the original Sunn vendors, WTC but there is a sticker on it from 1979, about 10 years older than the amp. There is some kind of staining inside the chassis under the PT, so it might be a replacement. There is also a mod to the preamp filtering, a B+ cap has been glued down in the preamp area.

Picture could be better, I'll post another after my camera charges up.
                          Attached Files
                          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

If that's the one, I have the exact thing right in front of me. And, it is about 10 ft. long.

The funny thing is, I just took it out of a Vox Essex Bass amp yesterday to install a grounded cord.
                            Last edited by The Dude; 07-12-2017, 02:34 AM.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Along the cord the following is impressed into the jacket. P. E. CO. 18/2 SJ 300V
                              There is a funny little mark just after the SJ, maybe a lower case i but with no dot.
                              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
                              X