Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transformers: Classictone, Hammond, Mercury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers: Classictone, Hammond, Mercury?

Anyone have better luck with any particular brand, for 2 valve ~20watt amp projects?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

I'm especially fond of the Hammond 1608 and have heard it in the same model amp next to two other brands. I was first put onto this model by Shea, here on the forum some fifteen years ago. He was killing it at an amp shootout being held in his area using this OT in an 18W type amp. I haven't heard the newer "easy wire secondary" model 1608a. The 1608 has an 8k primary. Good for most el84 applications. If you're planning to use 6v6's and want a different primary the only other Hammond 16XX would be the 1609 at 10k, which could also be run at 5k if you half the secondary load. Though this would change the low band -3dB I don't expect it would be a problem. I haven't heard the 1609.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      I'm especially fond of the Hammond 1608 and have heard it in the same model amp next to two other brands. I was first put onto this model by Shea, here on the forum some fifteen years ago. He was killing it at an amp shootout being held in his area using this OT in an 18W type amp. I haven't heard the newer "easy wire secondary" model 1608a. The 1608 has an 8k primary. Good for most el84 applications. If you're planning to use 6v6's and want a different primary the only other Hammond 16XX would be the 1609 at 10k, which could also be run at 5k if you half the secondary load. Though this would change the low band -3dB I don't expect it would be a problem. I haven't heard the 1609.

Thanks Chuck!!
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

In my limited experience I like Classictone and Hammond a lot.

I can't speak for everyone but to a lot of people mercury is kind of a laugh. because they're just so oozing with tone mojo

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
          I can't speak for everyone but to a lot of people mercury is kind of a laugh. because they're just so oozing with tone mojo
          Especially the power transformers - 'your amp just won't sound good unless you spend a premium of 50% to 400% on your PT.' What a load of codswallop!
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I don't have them yet, but I was planning on going with ClassicTone for my Fender Concert build. They seem a good value (certainly compared to MM) and people say great things about them. Yeah, I think MM is crazy...

Speaking of which, a local guy is selling a Peavey Classic 30 head with an MM power transformer in it for $240. That's like a $170 PT... I'm tempted to get it, but I don't really want a Peavey Classic 30 or an MM transformer. lol.

Comment

Well, it seems we talked you out of an MM tranny...
              I think they ooze that tone mojo only after they drain the raw life-force from your wallet and digest it...

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I just bought 7 50W power transformers from Magnetic Components for really cheap.

I know it's more power than you're looking for but the price is right

NOS-Amp-Transformers

I live in the area and actually drove out to pick them up. I talked with one of the engineers there and we were talking about brands. He was dumbfounded there is not a spec sheet to be found on MM website......

Comment

I can't say whether MM iron is good or not because I've never bought into their hype. I seriously doubt it's worth all the extra $$$ they cost. I may try more Edcor OT offerings in the future. I used a small SE OT of theirs recently and was impressed. Their prices are certainly right. Their shipping was stupid expensive for the small OT, but that would be offset with a larger one since they have a minimum shipping weight charge policy. I've used a few of their PT's and have been very pleased. They also made a primary wind modification to one of their 240V models to 120V for me at NO EXTRA CHARGE. And they're painted real pretty. Like that other brand, but at about a third the cost.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I take back everything I said about MM I found this on their site and theyre obviously legit

The Phenomenon of Ear Fatigue

Did you know... that ear fatigue is related to poor transformer quality? If while playing (or listening to someone play) through an amp you find yourself tiring easily, or the experience seems unpleasant… you are experiencing the tell-tale signs of ear fatigue. It is nature's way of telling you that something's wrong. In nature all sounds are composed of layers of frequencies producing all sorts of harmonics and distortion. Ear fatigue is caused by information commingling with non-musical, unnatural noise that "beats up" your internal mechanisms. The mechanisms that make your hearing possible are working overtime trying to separate the desirable from the less desirable sounds. It's the output transformer's job to emphasize the even-order harmonics and make tones more musical, appealing, and less fatiguing. There's no short-cut to building a quality transformer. The result is less effort by your ear to receive this information.
                    No wonder they are the best. Their transformers are based on the magical principle of being a tone pass filter. all those shabby unpleasant distortion artifacts are nullified.

Undesirable tone/sounds be gone!!!

I've experienced ear fatigue but I always thought it was because I was trying to adjust the tone of my 100W amp while standing two feet away

Comment

I just bought 7 50W power transformers from Magnetic Components for really cheap.

NOS-Amp-Transformers

I live in the area and actually drove out to pick them up. I talked with one of the engineers there and we were talking about brands. He was dumbfounded there is not a spec sheet to be found on MM website......
                      I worked with them on a project once. It never went into development, but they were super easy to work with and offered attractive prices. I'd call them again as a potential proprietary manufacturer if it ever comes up. I couldn't even work out a "bulk deal" worth my time and effort with Hammond.

Comment

I know, right? Edcor's shipping is insane. Not a bargain for individual transformers. If you buy multiple transformer, shipping as a percentage of the order total drops quite a bit, which I guess is the minimum shipping weight charge you were discussing Otherwise their prices are good and I've heard nothing but great things about their transformers... Haven't gotten one yet, though.

Comment

Hammond transformer rule IMO but unfortunately I think you have to do orders of 25 or more to get a deal.

Magnetic does 12 run minimums for special orders and they try to avoid small runs. They say that's the reason they have the classictone line. They made a kind offer even though they couldn't accomodate my small run of 3-5 PT/OT. They said if a classictone transformer fits my needs they will pull a few off the production line before it gets the "classic tone" stamp. They offered to add my art work to the transformer for a one time $30 set up fee. I don't have a logo though. The NOS transformers I bought from them are blank, which I like. And of course you can't beat the price.

Heyboer will make whatever you want, even 1. Supposedly if you order 3 or more you can get 20% off or so. Chuck would know better than me. I've only bought a few transformers from them and it was never multiples.

Well, except for when PRS was selling Heyboer 50W OTs on ebay recently. $75 each or best offer. I offered $310 for 8 and they accepted........let the good times roll

Comment

NOS-Amp-Transformers

I thought that very odd as well. I think there are only one or two links to weak specs on their site (not complete at all). I had to email them many time to get spec sheets, and they are not all complete.

Comment

I've got a special order Heyboer OT for a Trainwreck sitting on a shelf. Supposed have a good low end response. Gonna get to that one day...

Comment

Working...
                              X