No announcement yet.

Old rusty transformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"what you must NOT use is thinner solvent car type paint, because it contains very aggressive acetone, ethyl ether, ethyl acetate, xylene, etc. , all of which besides damaging brain cells attack plastics and specially wire enamel."

I used Rustoleum clear Lacquer, which does contain toluene, but I sprayed the laminate ends mostly, and stayed away from the internals, so I'm not going to worry about it I guess.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      I used Rustoleum clear Lacquer, which does contain toluene, but I sprayed the laminate ends mostly, and stayed away from the internals, so I'm not going to worry about it I guess.
      Oh, no problem about *spraying* , itīs only on the surface and to boot lightest solvents in the mix (acetone and ethyl/methyl ether) mostly evaporate "in the air" before even reaching what you are painting, remaining heavier solvents, are way less agressive.
      Plain kerosene/paraffin is the safest of all.

I was talking about dunking the whole transformer in a can and leaving it there for 15 minutes to an hour to guarantee impregnation.

FWIW now and then I do paint them with car paint, no big deal if only that.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
      X