Ribbon cable repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon cable repair?

Is there a way to repair a ribbon cable? Do you just solder in new wires? Thanks for anyinfo

Originally posted by Jam View Post
    Is there a way to repair a ribbon cable? Do you just solder in new wires? Thanks for anyinfo
    Can you elaborate more? there are several types of ribbon cables some I would attempt repair of and others not.

Got a pic and what it is from?

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Yes, tell us more. There are several kinds of ribbons, and they do various jobs. Some amps run the heater current through ribbons, and the two pins with that burn up, but the other 8 pins are fine. In those cases I just snip of the burnt part and hard wire the two boards. SOmetimes rewiring is the answer, many people have replaced the soldred ribbons on Fender Hot Rods with discrete wires.

There are ribbon connectors wher the gray ribbon is pressed down into grooves that grip the wires. These are hard to repair. There are others where pins are crimped onto wire ends and inserted into plastic housings.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And there's the worst of all (IMHO) - those brown mylar ribbons with etched tracks that are pushed into headers. Solder them at regular soldering temperatures and they curl up, like those fortune-telling fish you used to get at funfairs. Well, at least we did over here in England.

Comment

I have never soldered a fish, but I suspect you are correct. Yes, there is no repairing those things. I have a collection of them saved up from various scrappings, you never know when you need one.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here's a link to the 'Fortune telling fish';
            http://http://thescienceofreality.tu...h-a-blast-from
            And I thought it really was a miracle. Damn the internet.

Comment

Bad link, but I have seen in person, a tic-tac-toe playing chicken.

Comment

Fortune telling fish

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  And there's the worst of all (IMHO) - those brown mylar ribbons with etched tracks that are pushed into headers. Solder them at regular soldering temperatures and they curl up, like those fortune-telling fish you used to get at funfairs. Well, at least we did over here in England.
                  "brown mylar" should actually be polyimide aka kapton, which is a lot more temperature stable than polyester/mylar.

I've soldered thin wires and even smt resistors to them at ~315c after carefully cleaning the tracks and applying good RMA flux. Takes a quick hand. But yeah I'd rather not.

Comment

Working...
                  X