help with resistor size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not dead yet!

If you place larger orders with Newark, and you're looking for something in a specific value, it's hard not to have to order MC now and then. My last order had over 100 different line items on it and shipped in several shipments. If I buy 100 different value resistors sometimes there's no way around ordering a MC part. It's not that they're all bad, it's just that IME the high value R can be noisy.

I buy a lot of passives from Newark, rather than other suppliers, because they are local and I usually get overnight delivery because I'm in the 'hood. When it comes to storage, I don't use a tackle box or a chest of drawers -- I have waaaaaay too many resistors for that. I keep them in the distributor's plastic baggies with the labels on them, and sort those by value into several flat boxes in a large drawer.

In addition to the stocking/order info that Newark prints on the label, I'll jot down things like manufacturer, series number, value, tolerance, power rating and order date on the label with a marker, so that I can always tell at a glance what brand/model of resistor is in the plastic bag. In other words, if I have 1M resistors from several different manufacturers and suppliers, I keep them separated, with a path for identifying them all the way back to the specific order date if needed. That way I can tell which resistors are MultiComp, Vishay, Wellwyn, etc. If there's ever a problem in an amp, I just look at the resistor, pull the bags for that value, and I can easily ID the product by looking at it and comparing to what's in the stock bag.

I couldn't do that if I just dumped all of my resistors in a drawer and co-mingled them. I started doing the plastic envelope thing when I started ordering everything on ammo-pack reels, rather than as loose items. With a long ammo-pack segment I just fold it over a few times and stuff it into the envelope.

BTW, I'm not saying that all MultiComp products are bad -- I'm just saying that their high value resistors are noisy compared to some of the other premium resistor options. Depending on what you're building, and where you use them in the circuit, you might not ever notice them having a noise problem.

FWIW I've been using MultiComp branded e-caps and they've been surprisingly good to me. I can't say anything about their longevity beyond 5 years, though.

No experience with the pots.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
      I'm not dead yet!
      BOB!!!! You’re back!
      it just hasn’t been the same without you. (Friggin’ Enzo’s been insufferable now without a worthy adversary around ever since you left)
      I kid, Enzo is hands down my favorite cat in this joint... and Fahey.... and Nick..G1.Leo.potatohead.mick.dude—hell I can’t decide
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Watch it, SF, when bob is gone, I will pick on you...
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X