Dumb Power transformer trick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Power transformer trick?

Hi. I picked up a project GA-40t with a bad power transformer. I have a salvaged power transformer that I patched in. It is physically larger, but the HV winding somewhat smaller...getting 365VDC B+ where schematic expects around 425. The amp works...sounds OK. My transformer also has another winding that puts out 14 v p-p and is unneeded on this amp. Could/should I series-connect that winding with the HV winding to get a few more volts on the B+?

What sort of artifacts will i generate on the amp if I leave the B+ low?

To spec a new Hammond 200 series transformer, do i just look for a proportionally larger P-P output using the 365/425 ratio?

Thanks.

EL34s and 6L6s are more than happy at 300-350v plates. You're in the sweet spot!
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Yep. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Yep. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
        My transformer also has another winding that puts out 14 v p-p and is unneeded on this amp. Could/should I series-connect that winding with the HV winding to get a few more volts on the B+?

Would this work though. Something tells me it shouldn't be done. But not sure.

nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I just realized how dumb my 14 volt winding question is...the HV winding is center tapped for the full wave rectifier...would be imbalanced with the added winding...

The amp is running a pair of 7591's... 365v still sweet?

Comment

Hard to say without specs. Was the winding for filaments, light bulbs, some other low voltage supply? We don't know the current rating of that winding. That's one reason I would simply ignore it.

Edit: <simulpost> Yes, if the HV winding is CT'd, then ........
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

could be problems using that winding, since it is low voltage, there might be a lack of hi voltage insulation between it and ground, this is hard to determine without taking apart the windings,

enjoy the low voltage sound and the extended tube life, and the dependability of the filter caps,

Comment

Working...
              X