1965 Gibson GA40T tone control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Gibson GA40T tone control

I picked up a 1965 Gibson GA40T (replaced power transfirmer with one onhand that privides lower B+) with single tone pot ...lacks midrange...bass and treble very clean. Can someone tell me if the circuit design is the reason? If so, can you suggest a component tweak that might ooen up the midranges? Or a total rebuild of the tone stack. Or could the lower B+ be the issue? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	871731

Are you playing Fender single coils or Gibson humbuckers through it?

For what it is worth I have never heard one of those old Gibsons I thought sounded worth a damn.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo thanks for responding. Been testing it with all sorts ofbguitars. Just has a notch that does not enhance the tone to my ears. I have been finding misc anecdotal bits and pieces online about Gibson tube amps...runs the gamut from killer to crap...there is a lot of variation in the designs. I just dont have thebknowledge to analyze the circuit.
      To me it has potential with hand wired chassis to be a great amp once tweaked. Very well built.

I put in an odd speaker that could be part of the complaint, since the original ceramic jensen was crackling, so need to correct that. I found some tone stack info online and will try to jumper in a few tweaks.

Comment

I do not know that model, but the filters after first triode (220K-220K-500pf and 0.0033) should collaborate with it.

Comment

We have said it a million times - there is no one thing that will have more affect on your tone than the speaker. It might be as simple as a change there.,
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Bypass those stupid pi filters and they sound great.

Comment

Won´t talk about taste, to each his own, but those bridged T filters definitely cut midrange.
              Just disconnect one leg of C4 and C9 and test again.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Juan, others,

Thanks. Following that up with a search, it seems Gibson saw the notch as a feature...maybe once I find the appropriate speaker, i will drop in a switch to bring it in or out.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  Won´t talk about taste, to each his own, but those bridged T filters definitely cut midrange.
                  Just disconnect one leg of C4 and C9 and test again.
                  I think that Gibson added the bridged-T filter to their mid-60 amps to make them sound more like the blackface Fenders without having to make major design changes. Before the big EVJ mod craze*** I bought one and rewired it to Gibson Les Paul Jr GA-5 specs... the Gibson amps were selling for $500+. That was cool but I ran across the bridged-T circuit in a friend's amp and added it to my EVJ/GA-5 to make it sound more like a BF than a tweed. As you said to each his own...

Someone here suggested interrupting the path of the capacitors to ground with a pot to be able to dial back the effect of the bridged-T filter.

Steve A.

*** I suspect that I was the only person who modded an Epiphone Valve Jr to get a *cleaner* and less powerful sound from the amp...
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                    Someone here suggested interrupting the path of the capacitors to ground with a pot to be able to dial back the effect of the bridged-T filter.
                    Could have been Fender:

Attached Files
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                    X