Does anybody know what is the actual current path on multi cap can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know what is the actual current path on multi cap can

If all the grounds just go to the chassis ,then I guess the current would flow in the + side Go through the capacitor and then back out the same + lead .I don't get it .I am thinking that a resistor is soldered inline and I can see the path the current/signal flows.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stevi q; 08-07-2017, 02:23 PM.

Originally posted by Stevi q View Post
    If all the grounds just go to the chassis ,then I guess the current would flow in the + side Go through the capacitor and then back out the same + lead .
    Please make clear what instant are referring to.
    The cap may be charging, in which case conventional current flows into the + terminal and exits through the - one into ground, to close the power supply circuit *or* a moment later discharging, current flowing from the + terminal into the load, passing through it, and returning to - terminal through ground.

The cap is never charging and discharging at the same time, or to be more precise, it may be receiving current from supply and sending current to load; but there will always be a net difference between them , said difference will be either positive or negative, occasionally even zero.

I don't get it .I am thinking that a resistor is soldered inline and I can see the path the current/signal flows.
    Post the schematic of what you are trying to analyze.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the information.So is it ok when replacing the Mallory multi cap with individual caps to run the ground all together to the chassis?Thank you

Comment

I didn't recall seeing the pics earlier. So, I think if you kind of make up a little bundle of your caps and resistors and ground them to the same spot as the original can (or as close as possible) then you should be okay. You may be able to empty out that can and stuff four new and much smaller caps inside the shell, too.

It may not follow OUR "best practices," having g your preamp filter grounded at the same point as your plates and screens, etc. But in practice, bazillions of Champs, Princetons, Gibsons, Ampegs, and others did exactly that, and I think it's safe to assume that they didn't suffer from awful ground loops due to their "wrong" and "inferior" design...

Justin

Edit: for fun, if you get an actual bad Mallory can, take it apart - slowly and carefully. It may help understand how it works. Wear gloves & glasses.
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Thanks for the info .These capacitors in these cans from what I gather were grounded all together and attached to the can through some aluminum strip that joined to the tabs and the casing and you bend the tabs and solder the tabs and that was your way to ground.Does that sound right?Thanks a bunch

Comment

that is correct.

Comment

Working...
            X