Beam Pentode orientation in relation to mains transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beam Pentode orientation in relation to mains transformer

I am confused by a Morgan Jones illustration on pg 10 of this book, Building Valve Amplifiers -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6x...ew?usp=sharing

I think he means that the proper tube orientation is the tube on the left in the first pic, is that correct?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1921.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	871747

Here is another angle

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	871748

Edit: 2nd pic is not the orientation I wanted. I have no idea why that image flipped sideways and the other is in normal orientation

As best I can tell, you have it right.

Thanks for that - some neat-looking ideas for construction there.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Justin, Im with you. I 90% believe that the left tube is correct orientation.

Anyone else ??

I tried to scan to where I thought it might talk about this in the RCA manual but it was page 1024. Not a good page to try for on a PDF format

Comment

I would think the only way to know for sure is to dissect-a-tube & figure out where the BFPs are... Or, what kind of tube is it, and maybe someone has already sacrificed one?

Or just leave an extra inch on the tube socket wire, and if it makes noise, rotate the socket...

Justin

And which RCA manual? Biggest one I have is RC30, 762 pages. Maybe it's downloadable somewhere!
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

He's showing the orientation of the electron beams controlled by the beam-forming plates...he's orienting the tubes (and thus the beams) to flow "parallel with" the possible magnetic disturbance field coming from the transformer; ie: plate electron beams in same plane/orientation as transformer core plates (not the windings).
          ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Name:	Pentode1.gif
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	846127

This picture answers a lot of questions for me.

Comment

Although rather "hard" on the tubes, simply increasing its idle current until it "red plates" will also *show* you exactly where the "beams" are hitting, since where the plate turns red first is where the beams are hitting.
              ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Or this similar picture:

Name:	fig6.gif
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	846135
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X