Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese Gibson clone neck..... makes you wonder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve. I ended up using Titebond II. Seems to be fine. I had such a precise fit in the neck pocket I doubt it will creep. I also can’t help but think that the strap button screw will also add some stability. I’m still deciding if I’m going to drop a Gotoh or a Tone Pros bridge into it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6814.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	847824

So the $24 Gotoh metric Nashville bridge from StewMac dropped right in and gave me enough intonation adjustment. It would have been better to have seated the neck correctly in the first place of course. I'm a bit disappointed at the tolerance of the post holes on the Gotoh. The holes are a bit large. At first I thought it was because I was using the factory posts. Then I realized that the post provided with the bridge are the same. There's just a lot of slop. My theory is they do this to be more forgiving of inexpertly positioned posts. Imho it does affect the sustain a tiny bit. Maybe I should have bought a Tone Pros bridge, but there was no spec on the intonation spread.

Comment

Here's the beast in action. I never finished the neck. Never put on the Gibson waterslide (but still might). It turned out to be a GREAT slide guitar. (I was playing slide using the harmonica) This is at a Roadhouse East of San Diego. Having fun post heart attack. Everyone seems to think it takes a pretty picture. Funny how it goes. I have LP Customs and such at home but bring down the house with the $100 beater through a Bugera!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6875.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	848007
        Attached Files

Comment

Keep on rockin!
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Fantastic I love bringing new diy gear to a gig or a show. Something new, or at least a bit different in a good way usually happens.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Fantastic I love bringing new diy gear to a gig or a show. Something new, or at least a bit different in a good way usually happens.
              I always get asked about my Talk Box. They ask why it sounds better. I say well it's just a full range diver driven by a 5 watt tube amp with a high pass filter on the output. Then they look at me like I'm nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                I always get asked about my Talk Box. They ask why it sounds better. I say well it's just a full range diver driven by a 5 watt tube amp with a high pass filter on the output. Then they look at me like I'm nuts.
                Got any plans or schematics or pics/gutshots etc?

nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  Then they look at me like I'm nuts.
                  That's my favorite part!

John Gierach is probably my favorite fly fishing writer. One of my favorite quotes from him:

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads you're doing something wrong."

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                    Got any plans or schematics or pics/gutshots etc?

nosaj
                    Well I built one when I was fourteen. I hooked a little SS amp to a 4" speaker and taped a funnel to it. Then I ran some metalized tubing from the end of the funnel up a mic stand. I attached a smaller tube to the end and taped it in place next to the mic, extended a little. It worked WAYYY better than I would have thought. Now here's the nifty part... I ran the SS amp input from my amps effects send and then ran the mic through a boost pedal into the effect return. I got pretty close to unity gain straight through so it was actually MY amps tone in the effect and not some quacky gimmick. I played with it for a couple of days until the novelty wore off and took it all apart Kids, huh!?!

Comment

holy wow jack daniels drums

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        That's my favorite part!

John Gierach is probably my favorite fly fishing writer. One of my favorite quotes from him:

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads you're doing something wrong."
                        Like when you put a 5lb Spitfire clone built in a 61 Stromberg PA on top of a vertical 2x15" Bassman cab?
                        It's funny how many musicians think it's the giant speaker cabs that make all the power...

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Actually... While I do like taking funky stuff to shows, my favorite thing is taking "sleepers". Amps or guitars that LOOK stock, but aren't. One gig I played with a series wired strat and a channel stacked 1959 Marshall was my favorite. There were a few players hanging close to the stage at breaks asking after my tone. My only answer was "I dunno.... It's just a strat and a Marshall." It absolutely DID sound amazing

Comment

Working...
                          X