ch switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail...2b5gblmWyl0%3d

The heater winding refers to the power transformer where that feeds the heaters of the valves. It is rectified to provide the DC supply. The diodes can be IN4001-7 or even a single bridge rectifier. You might need to add a resistor in series with the replay coil. maybe 47 ohm or so to get 5V or so across the relay when operating. The 1000uF cap will need to be at least 10V. U26 is the front panel switch.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      What Juan described is pretty much exactly how I did it. I used a plastic jack for the footswitch connector to isolate it from the chassis. I still have the schematic (below). The two coils marked LU20 are the two relays, you will need only one. One set of contacts is used for the channel switch, the other for the LEDS. There is no need for bleed resistors Enzo mentioned as there is no DC on the contacts - proven and tested in real life. I did get some noise on the rectifier supply and the purpose of the 100nF ceramic capacitor is to remove that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44467[/ATTACH]
      ok looking at that scem...tell me if im understanding this... the left side just shows basically 2 wires that can come off V1 heaters...then gets rectified by D1-4 . Jack should be a plastic stereo model ?

L5 / L6 is just the 6.3v ac ?

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
        ok looking at that scem...tell me if im understanding this... the left side just shows basically 2 wires that can come off V1 heaters...then gets rectified by D1-4 . Jack should be a plastic stereo model ?

L5 / L6 is just the 6.3v ac ?
        Correct, except the socket is a plastic mono type with a switch contact that is closed when no jack is inserted.

Comment

ok -thanks!
          so would the 47 ohm go right after D4 to get close to 5v?

and i wouldnt need U26 switch if using a fsw?

what would i leave out if not using the LED's ?

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
            ok -thanks!
            so would the 47 ohm go right after D4 to get close to 5v?

and i wouldnt need U26 switch if using a fsw?

what would i leave out if not using the LED's ?
            The 47 ohm ( value is a guess) goes in series with the relay coil, not D4.

You can replace U26 with a wire link if you are sure that a footswitch is all you need.

If you don't want the LEDS, you leave out the two LEDs ( ) the 330 ohm resistor and you won't need to wire up the second pair of relay contacts.

Comment

Here you can find a similar solution
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...footswitch.jpg
              Best greetings and good luck
              Zouto

Comment

Maybe I'm missing the point of this whole thread... but if you want to switch between 2 front panel input jacks, why not just have an A/B switch onthe floor? One cable in. Two cables out to the respective inputs. Are the grounds isolated? Even if they are it's not a big deal to switch the ground and the signal.

Comment

Look at the schematic. This is the amp circuit wher the high gain jack feeds into an extra gain stage. Plugging into the low gain jack disconnects that stage and the signal enters at stage 2. SO by plugging an AB into both input jacks means the high gain jack will no longer pass signal.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                    Maybe I'm missing the point of this whole thread... but if you want to switch between 2 front panel input jacks, why not just have an A/B switch onthe floor? One cable in. Two cables out to the respective inputs. Are the grounds isolated? Even if they are it's not a big deal to switch the ground and the signal.
                    Normally that would work but in this case inserting the low jack disconnects the high jack.

Comment

Normally that would work but in this case inserting the low jack disconnects the high jack.
                      Then the simplest thing to do might be to defeat that function and use an A/B box? Might be an easier and less invasive mod?

Comment

Look at the schematic, it isn't quite that simple.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Zouto View Post
                          Here you can find a similar solution
                          Best greetings and good luck
                          Zouto
                          ok, so where it says where the relay pins go to a turret......is this for a 2203/ 2204/ marshall? are they talking about the stock parts on the Marshall board?? is there any more info on this one?

Comment

The 47 ohm ( value is a guess) goes in series with the relay coil, not D4.

You can replace U26 with a wire link if you are sure that a footswitch is all you need.

If you don't want the LEDS, you leave out the two LEDs ( ) the 330 ohm resistor and you won't need to wire up the second pair of relay contacts.
                            next question---- where exactly is this circuit connected in a 2203/2204 ?? and where are the connections on this circuit that will go to the amp?? The Low jack in the amp can go away if needed and im adding a second volume

Comment

Can anyone tell me where relay pins 3 / 7 / 8 would go in a 2203 Marshall? Or ...where is my signal coming in / out of that relay ?

Last edited by Valvehead; 08-24-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                                The original one has no switch, as you say, you must manually unplug and re plug your cable
                                Adding a relay is the engineer's approach to the problem. It's a bit complicated, but once it's done, it's elegant and self-contained in the amp.

Then there is the "I just wanna play through the darn thing!" guitarist's approach. That is to use an A/B box. Guitar goes to the A/B box, cable from "A" output to clean channel, cable from "B" output to overdrive channel, and you're done. Step on the footswitch to switch channels.

Using an A/B box is not as elegant a solution, because you now have to carry around the A/B box and two extra guitar cables. But it is quick, simple, and effective.

If you feel like it, you can build your own A/B box, too. Get a Hammond die-cast aluminum box, three mono 1/4" jacks, a footswitch, and a handful of other parts (LEDs to indicate which output is in use, power jack), and it's an easy build.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

Working...
                                X