Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High quality Octal tube socket replacement for a 1990 Fender the Twin "Red Knob"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High quality Octal tube socket replacement for a 1990 Fender the Twin "Red Knob"

Yesterday while swapping the 1.5k and 470 ohms metal oxide resistors in the octal power tube sockets one of the pins on one of the sockets sliced and i had to solder to 470 ohm and orange wires to the remaining piece of the pin. Two questions:

1. Any problem if i decide to leave it soldered this way as it is making contact and forget about the octal tube replacement?

2. Which are the best 8 pin octal tube sockets that i can purchase for this amp? Ceramic or phenolic? My twin reverb 65 reissue came with some nice ones that hold the power tubes very tight and firm. The ones in this amp are not providing such firmness.

Does it work now? Then stop fixing it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Does it work now? Then stop fixing it.
      it does work but i would like to source some tight and firm high quality octal tube sockets! ceramic or phenolic?? which ones??

Comment

I prefer used tube sockets that are 50 years old, quality is much better than the Chinese crap they sell now. I think you may be able to still buy Belton but i don't know of the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
          I prefer used tube sockets that are 50 years old, quality is much better than the Chinese crap they sell now. I think you may be able to still buy Belton but i don't know of the quality.
          So Belton Brand is what used to come in vintage fender amps? Bakelite or ceramic?

Comment

I have no idea what brand they used, most likely changed over the years. Flip the unit over and try to read if anything is stamped on the other sockets. It could also be Amphenol.

Comment

Working...
            X