Wollensak to guitar amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wollensak to guitar amp

Picked up a Wollensak T1515 old reel to reel for $5 at the flea market. Not converting it for a guitar amp but going to use the parts to build one. Finally found the schematic, 12ab5 push pull output and a few 12ax7's. Schematic parts list tells me power trans is 200v at 7ma. Figured it was a typo. Turns out it is smaller than the output trans. Looking at the schematic it seems they tap off the power trans primary through a voltage doubler to get plate voltage. I don't want to do that as it seems unsafe. I guess i can use the power trans for a tube effects pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	t1515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	871794

Originally posted by mozz View Post
    Picked up a Wollensak T1515 old reel to reel for $5 at the flea market. Not converting it for a guitar amp but going to use the parts to build one. Finally found the schematic, 12ab5 push pull output and a few 12ax7's. Schematic parts list tells me power trans is 200v at 7ma. Figured it was a typo. Turns out it is smaller than the output trans. Looking at the schematic it seems they tap off the power trans primary through a voltage doubler to get plate voltage. I don't want to do that as it seems unsafe. I guess i can use the power trans for a tube effects pedal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44608[/ATTACH]
    If it works you might try it as a boost as is just for the hell of it. Some of the old pros would
    Overdrive their amps with tape decks. Even direct into old tube studio boards.

Comment

Wollensak

Originally posted by mozz View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44608[/ATTACH]
      I have had several of these old Wollensak tape recorders. If you plug your guitar cord all the way in the input
      it just sounds like playing through a tape recorder. But... if you half way unplug the guitar cord you will be astounded at
      the sound of these all tube amps. The tone control which turns the power on is so accurate and sensitive and beautiful.I just got another one last week. Opened it up and found a Telefunken 12ax7 and 2 tung- sol12AB5 tubes in it. if you use the ext speaker jack with a good 12 you are in business.

Comment

Working...
      X