Replacing Input Plugs on a Fender Frontman 15R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjenrick View Post
    hardwire Switchraft 12A and your good for 50 years.
    Sure thing as this was mentioned in the thread already. However, the jack on this amp is plastic sleeve to isolate it from chassis ground for a reason. If anyone goes for the hard wired approach then you'll need to get some of these to ensure it is isolated from ground.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/i...-flat-shoulder

And as the description for that states you better get the long barrel version to make sure it fits just right, the L12A jack.

https://tubedepot.com/products/switc...-l12a-1-4-jack
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Someone always comes up with that. And yes, it will ruin the grounding scheme. Also, the open frame metal jack will stick out the sides and may or may not have to be mounted just so, to prevent it bumping into things. Of course the hole in the panel is way oversized for that 3/8" bushing, so you rely on the star washer and nut to keep the jack positioned.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've had amps that hum badly when the owner has fitted a Switchcraft socket. The test before you do this is to plug in a guitar and use a piece of wire to short the plug barrel to chassis. If it hums you need insulating washers and sometimes the long-thread version of the 12A. I have a lot of hire Devilles I've fitted with Switchcraft sockets, but I always use stepped insulating washers.

I have a Fender in right now where the plastic sockets are perfect and it's over 30 years old. Most of them are fine unless abused. Unless there's a special reason I replace with the same Fender part. Essential if it's a stereo/multi-switched socket that also mutes, among other things.

Comment

Hey Dude,
          That's a good idea because the amp used to make a low frequency hum and that was about all. Once I plugged in my guitar cable and pushed the overdrive button in it just blew the fuse. What do you think? I assumed it maybe the input jack? By the way, I never thought about the reason why Fender made them out of plastic. I just assumed it was a cost cutting measure for a low priced practice amp.

Thank You
          Joe

Comment

Mick,
            You point out some good observations to look out for. I think the main reason I disliked the plastic input jack was because of the faceplate mounting nut. Since it is also plastic, once cross-threaded, it's pretty much worthless.

Joe

Comment

DrGonz78,
              That's good advice about Isolation Washer purpose and use.

Joe

Comment

Enzo,
                By the looks of the picture from Tube Depot, the L12A looks more like a input plug for an effects pedal instead of a PC mounted amplifier input jack..

Joe

Comment

It isn't appropriate, but they call them mono and stereo. The stereo is the one with 9 pins, the mono has the four pins. If you need the mono one, don't order the nine leg one. They both use the same body. If I run out of the mono jacks in my drawer, I grab a stereo one and snip off the extra pins.

The L12A is an open frame metal jack. I suggest using the stock jack.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by jagora View Post
                    Hey Dude,
                    That's a good idea because the amp used to make a low frequency hum and that was about all. Once I plugged in my guitar cable and pushed the overdrive button in it just blew the fuse. What do you think? I assumed it maybe the input jack? By the way, I never thought about the reason why Fender made them out of plastic. I just assumed it was a cost cutting measure for a low priced practice amp.

Thank You
                    Joe
                    Not too sure that a bad jack would cause a fuse to fail.

Comment

gnd scheme for frontman, note you will lose silly mute function if you use switchcraft,

10 ohm resistor will not raise noise floor much,

Click image for larger version

Name:	fj.gif
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	846264

Comment

I was not sure because I am new to the hobby of D.I.Y repairs dealing with electronics. I do enjoy learning and practicing my skills on inexpensive equipment. It always feels good to bring back to life once a product is pronounced dead and thrown into the thrift shop or found at a flea market.

Thanks
                        Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X